FAQ - Beta and Beyond

PexPex
LawBreakers Rep: 2,090
Administrator
edited December 14, 2016 in The Vault
Now that we’ve announced the upcoming Beta and a 2017 launch we’re sure you have lots of questions. Read the FAQ below and see if your question is answered. If not, we’re happy to answer any others you may have.

What is LawBreakers
LawBreakers, from industry veteran Cliff Bleszinski and Boss Key Productions, delivers intense gravity-defying gameplay unlike anything currently available and is further upping the ante after critical alpha feedback by adding more roles, each with unique movement abilities; more gravity-ravage maps based on a futuristic rebuilt society; and more intense competitive game modes, which will culminate in buzzer-beating conflict.

How are you planning to succeed against recent and upcoming AAA arena and team-based shooters?
LawBreakers elevates the shooter genre, delivering violent gravity-defying combat. Our combination of innovative roles, gravity-ravaged maps and highly competitive modes come together to create a fast, fluid experience unlike anything you’ve seen before.

What's the story surrounding this game?
LawBreakers promises a bloodbath of role-based gravity-defying combat across an alternate futuristic landscape. Players will choose whether to fight to uphold the “Law,” or be out for blood as a “Breaker,” as they take part in the combat raging across iconic locations including the boiling oceans off the Santa Monica coastline, to a gravity-ravaged Grand Canyon and beyond.[/b]

How does gravity affect the gameplay?
Lawbreakers frees you up to play across the whole environment, not just on the ground or in limited vertical spaces. The combination of role-based movement systems and map-based gravity anomalies really make every level a true omnidirectional play space where death can come from every angle.[/b]

When is the Beta? What about Open Beta?
2017. Keep an eye out on our Twitter and Facebook for all news.

If I was in the Alpha will I be in the Beta?
Those who had email invites will get invites to closed beta testing in the future. Timing and what phase will be determined based on the needs and requirements of the test.

If I signed up already do I need to sign up again?
No, you’re good to go. Just keep an eye on your inboxes.

I signed up months ago! Where is my beta key?
We will send out keys when a specific test date is announced. Don't worry we'll give you plenty of time in advance to download, so you are ready to revel in the chaos when the time comes.

Where do I sign up?
www.LawBreakers.com

What have you been doing this whole time?
A TON. The trailer released at The Game Awards 2016 just gives you a small taste of what’s to come. Our alpha was extremely valuable and helped us find and fix bugs, test the servers and learn more about what the community wants from our gameplay, characters and roles, and more. Now we’re preparing to launch our beta tests so players can get their hands on all of the updates and improvements from alpha as well as the new content we’ll be rolling out.

We saw a new map and a new role! Tell me more.
What you saw is one of many brand new roles coming to the game, Gunslinger, who adds a whole new type of movement to LawBreakers. The new map, Vertigo, also adds a new twist to gravity. We’ll have a lot more to reveal on this content and other new roles, maps and modes in 2017.

What happened to Early Access?
The alpha phase of LawBreakers taught us so much and led us to reevaluate some of our early decisions, such as free-to-play and Early Access, but we’re taking all of that knowledge and applying it to solidify the direction of LawBreakers and make the best choices for our community.

When will the game launch?

How much is the game gonna cost at launch?
We haven’t announced that yet but since it’s multiplayer only, you won't be paying $60 and you'll receive all roles, maps and modes.

Will LawBreakers still have microtransactions even though it’s not free-to-play?
At launch, all gameplay-affecting content in LawBreakers will be included in the buy-in price; none of our maps, modes or roles will be locked behind a paywall. LawBreakers will have some form of additional monetization revolving around cosmetic items for players who want them, but we’re still exploring our options. We are committed to ensuring this kind of monetization will not provide any competitive advantages.

Will LawBreakers be on console?
We’re still focusing on PC first, but never say never.

What platform do I play LawBreakers on?
We will initially be available to play on Steam.

Will there be founders packs or pre-order deals?
No news on that just yet.

Will you ever charge for maps/modes/characters in LawBreakers?
No. Players will pay one price up front and get all the maps, modes and character roles. Microtransactions in LawBreakers will not provide any competitive advantage or gate any gameplay-related content.
chapdachap

Comments

• bumbertyrbumbertyr
    LawBreakers Rep: 1,215
    edited December 1, 2016
    Right on right on! That trailer was sick! Really excited for the new role, is there an eta on the information about vertigo and the gunslinger role?

Also as a general suggestion a launch party would be pretty cool whether it be an online or real life based one.
  • ArdezArdez
    LawBreakers Rep: 2,710
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited December 1, 2016
    Really excited for 2017 :D
  • Tempest_XilencTempest_Xilenc
    LawBreakers Rep: 720
    We're Ready!!!
  • MiishMiish
    LawBreakers Rep: 420
    Thank you for this Q&A it definitely helped clear a lot up. May I ask for an ETA on when we will see further details on the Gunslinger class and a class video similar to the others? Thank you again for taking the time to write this out.
    Kin_ShurubyRohanLikesForums
  • Kin_ShurubyKin_Shuruby
    LawBreakers Rep: 1,230
    I hope some specifics about the new role(kit), maps, features, modes, etc will come soon. Leaving your core in the dark to make a grand splash is never a good sign.
  • BrittalityBrittality
    LawBreakers Rep: 2,745
    Boss Key
    bumbertyr
    bumbertyr said:

Right on right on! That trailer was sick! Really excited for the new role, is there an eta on the information about vertigo and the gunslinger role?

Also as a general suggestion a launch party would be pretty cool whether it be an online or real life based one.
    We'll have some info trickling out soon about the new hotness. You had me at "party".
    bumbertyr
  • BrittalityBrittality
    Boss Key
    edited December 2, 2016
    Kin_Shuruby

I hope some specifics about the new role(kit), maps, features, modes, etc will come soon. Leaving your core in the dark to make a grand splash is never a good sign.
    Miish
    Miish said:

Thank you for this Q&A it definitely helped clear a lot up. May I ask for an ETA on when we will see further details on the Gunslinger class and a class video similar to the others? Thank you again for taking the time to write this out.
    We will be sharing new info on the Gunslinger soon, so keep it locked on our social!
  • Anax_of_RhodesAnax_of_Rhodes
    LawBreakers Rep: 870
    Been waitin' for some news!! Oh, goodness, I miss this game....
    bumbertyr
  • bumbertyrbumbertyr
    LawBreakers Rep: 1,215
    Anax_of_Rhodes

Been waitin' for some news!! Oh, goodness, I miss this game....
    we all do Law keeping scum, we all do. Can't wait to get back into it and do some breaking.
  • EliteLurkerEliteLurker
    LawBreakers Rep: 310
    I never did my full feedback and review of LB because of time constraints - but the 1 thing I really did not like was that most guns could only kill 1 other player before reloading - if you were lucky and good 2 players - There's a saying about a guy who made a gun that only shoots one bullet - he must have had only 1 enemy - IF I get caught reloading because the gun only kills 1 person then it's not a very good gun. Now it worked in the early alpha because the player speeds were slower - but once player speeds were change it fell apart imo. Hope you've had a look at that since alpha.
    (also posted on discord)
  • ArdezArdez
    LawBreakers Rep: 2,710
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    I always took reloading as part of combat, not a step between multiple combats. I do understand your opinion however. Fortunately classes have other abilities that can deal damage or help them disengage to go reload. I personally don't think it is a big concern.

What class did you tend to play Elite? That might help with some additional insight into your feedback.
  • t0k3y420t0k3y420
    LawBreakers Rep: 300
    If you play since alpha when it is available for purchase will we have to pay?
  • atavaxatavax
    LawBreakers Rep: 1,345
    edited December 3, 2016
    Ardez
    Ardez said:

I always took reloading as part of combat, not a step between multiple combats. I do understand your opinion however. Fortunately classes have other abilities that can deal damage or help them disengage to go reload. I personally don't think it is a big concern.

What class did you tend to play Elite? That might help with some additional insight into your feedback.
    reloading is part of combat, I just think reloading was a little long for for the style of combat. Reload length can be long if you're going to be out of line of site when you reload like in very low time to kill games. But with the short effective range and high movement speed in lawbreakers it seemed like most of the time you died while reloading. Its an understandable thing to get wrong as traditionally arena based shooters don't have reloading and even new ones like Overwatch that do, have healing as well, which certainly can effect how long an acceptable reload time is. I think really you want reloading to enforce resource management and discourage spam, while being as short as possible.
  • XyfurionXyfurion
    LawBreakers Rep: 790
    Happy to see that the community's questions are being answered with satisfaction. Good on you BossKey!

I can't wait for the beta. Honestly, LawBreakers was the most fun I have had on the first day for any game. You have done well.
    RohanLikesForumsFerrous
  • XyfurionXyfurion
    LawBreakers Rep: 790
    t0k3y420
    t0k3y420 said:

Most likely, even us Alpha and Beta players will have to pay. I mean, it only makes sense. On top of that, you are paying for quality content. If it was $40 I might reconsider but $20 is perfectly okay.
    Ferrous
  • NerdiianNerdiian
    LawBreakers Rep: 865
    cant wait guys.
    RohanLikesForums
  • POOPDICKPOOPDICK
    LawBreakers Rep: 220
    edited December 4, 2016
    LOL I watched the trailer like 10 times and didn't even notice the Gunslinger. I guess he fits perfectly in the game.

Thanks for the FAQ! Would love to see some sort of Progression system in the future, like Ranking or Leveling.
    RohanLikesForumsFerrous
  • t0k3y420t0k3y420
    Xyfurion
    Xyfurion said:

t0k3y420
    t0k3y420 said:

Most likely, even us Alpha and Beta players will have to pay. I mean, it only makes sense. On top of that, you are paying for quality content. If it was $40 I might reconsider but $20 is perfectly okay.

I was just wondering because when i did the paragon alpha they gave us the content moving onward.
  • Whodeyy1234Whodeyy1234
    LawBreakers Rep: 200
    edited December 8, 2016
    If we had keys for alpha, when beta is release will the game auto update for beta or will we need a whole new key?
  • RohanLikesForumsRohanLikesForums
    LawBreakers Rep: 1,680
    Boss Key
    Kin_Shuruby

This trailer was just a quick surprise for the community and those who don't know anything about LawBreakers. We wanted to take the time to let everyone know we're working hard on the game since Alpha and implementing the community's feedback. We'll have more details soon regarding the new roles, maps, modes and more!

Nerdiian
    Boss Key
    Xyfurion
    Xyfurion said:

Happy to see that the community's questions are being answered with satisfaction. Good on you BossKey!

I can't wait for the beta. Honestly, LawBreakers was the most fun I have had on the first day for any game. You have done well.
    We can't wait to show you more. 2017 is going to be an awesome year. You have no idea. =)

Boss Key
    From everyone at Boss Key, we can't wait to show you what we're working on. Based off of the excellent community feedback during this summer's Alpha, there's A LOT going to be added to LawBreakers in 2017. While we hammer away at the game, we ask for everyone to be patient, because we'd rather take the time to craft something awesome for you than rush it out. In the meantime, we want to continue to provide behind-the-scenes content and more to share how we're building the game, like in the latest Dev Diary found here:

Thanks everyone for keeping tabs on the game. Next year is going to be big for us and we can't wait to have you ride along. =)
    WorgbumbertyrTempest_Mrnickes
  • chapdachapchapdachap
    Recently saw the trailer from The Game Awards and am hooked! Nice to see you guys care about the fans and create a dialogue this early on. Looking forward to some new trailers soon!
  • BrittalityBrittality
    Boss Key
    chapdachap

Recently saw the trailer from The Game Awards and am hooked! Nice to see you guys care about the fans and create a dialogue this early on. Looking forward to some new trailers soon!
    So awesome to hear! Thanks for jumping over here with us on the forums. Hope to see more of you around!
  • AftersunAftersun
    LawBreakers Rep: 200
    How does the dev plan to evolve the game?
    We see other games being added content like new characters. change of maps or game type regularly (specialy characters)

how about lawbreakers. i played a beta, the user interface didn allow for more character to be displayed but 1 so my friend were thinkin that was it concerning character choice.

What do the dev think is the key aspect to keep the player database up high ?

last thing i want to see is that people (including myself) paying good money for a game that will last a few weeks/month then everyone leaving due to poor replayability factor leaving the elite playing the game and every casual kissing dirt hard every game...

personal comment here. i wish there were give away from time to time.
    I like to have stickers (my wife is actualy starting to be pissed that i stick Unreal Tournament stickers everywhere) but i like shirts / hats / mousepads / stickers of games i like to play so yeah, wish i could get some lawbreakers merch through giveaways !