Please note that there is a new forum user approval process before you can start posting. It may take up to 48 hours for your account to be approved.

Careful with Windows 10 Anniversary update !

WorgWorg
LawBreakers Rep: 1,370
edited August 12, 2016 in Alpha Technical Issues & Bugs
Hi all,

For the record, my O/S (Windows 10 64bits) installed the latest update of Windows, which is the Windows 10 Anniversary update (build 1607).
Once the installation got finished, I did a clean reboot, then checked out my video settings.

My gpu gear : a sli of nvidia gpus (gtx980). In the nvidia settings, I had to reboot the SLI as it said I had an "update" to do. 1st time I ever see that message. After each driver upgrade I have to turn it back on, but dont remember having seen this message before.

Bottom line is : My games were messed up. I connected on black-ops3 and I had like no texture at all once in game... Plus, I could not set up the in-game video settings as usual. I was stuck up to "middle" on the texture choice (could not select high, the option was gone, just like if my gear had been lower down). Plus the game got all laggish.

I tryied to force the video settings via the Nvidia experience panel, and it seemed ok when I connected. Then I launched a game and boom, back with the ugly textures and impossible for me to turn on the high settings in the in-game options.

I rolled back my to my previous windows 10 version and everything went back to normal !!

Conclusion :
Maybe that's just the "SLI" that is affected , but maybe not.
Are the devs aware of such problems ? (this windows10 update is pretty new, a few days only I think).
I was wondering, you know, maybe players who complained about lag on the last alpha test had done the win10 update and that could explain such issues. I think it is worth looking at.

Anyone else have run in such issues already ? (you can simply rollback through the windows update panel, but careful because it seems that some people even have their pc unusable after that update :-/ !!!).

[edit]
Seems like I'm not the only one : https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/956355/sli-not-working-as-it-should-after-windows-10-anniversary-update-980tis-/#4948955 and that it does affect the SLI setup.

Raybirthpipos666

Comments

• RaybirthRaybirth
    LawBreakers Rep: 1,910
    edited August 12, 2016
    Octofrag said:

Hi all,

For the record, my O/S (Windows 10 64bits) installed the latest update of Windows, which is the Windows 10 Anniversary update (build 1607).
    Once the installation got finished, I did a clean reboot, then checked out my video settings.

My gpu gear : a sli of nvidia gpus (gtx980). In the nvidia settings, I had to reboot the SLI as it said I had an "update" to do. 1st time I ever see that message. After each driver upgrade I have to turn it back on, but dont remember having seen this message before.

Bottom line is : My games were messed up. I connected on black-ops3 and I had like no texture at all once in game... Plus, I could not set up the in-game video settings as usual. I was stuck up to "middle" on the texture choice (could not select high, the option was gone, just like if my gear had been lower down). Plus the game got all laggish.

I tryied to force the video settings via the Nvidia experience panel, and it seemed ok when I connected. Then I launched a game and boom, back with the ugly textures and impossible for me to turn on the high settings in the in-game options.

I rolled back my to my previous windows 10 version and everything went back to normal !!

Conclusion :
    Are the devs aware of such problems ? (this windows10 update is pretty new, a few days only I think).
    I was wondering, you know, maybe players who complained about lag on the last alpha test had done the win10 update and that could explain such issues. I think it is worth looking at.

Anyone else have run in such issues already ? (you can simply rollback through the windows update panel, but careful because it seems that some people even have their pc unusable after that update :-/ !!!).

[edit]
    Seems like I'm not the only one : https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/956355/sli-not-working-as-it-should-after-windows-10-anniversary-update-980tis-/#4948955 and that it does affect the SLI setup.

Thanks for the warning! Nothing happened to me though:p
  • dukemaroondukemaroon
    LawBreakers Rep: 3,095
    Currently, there is/was no SLI support in the game. You're lucky if it was working! SLI support will be coming down the line, from what I've heard :)
  • WorgWorg
    Ah ! Well it worked just fine for me :p ! I don't think I was running on a single gpu in the game (unless the game was sized at 1080p, I don't think I was able to check the in-game resolution).
  • WorgWorg
    Just so you know, NVIDIA just published a new driver yesterday (for those who already installed Win10 64bits Anniversary Update):
    http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/105851
    Along with the documentation :
    http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/372.54/372.54-win10-win8-win7-desktop-release-notes.pdf
  • RaybirthRaybirth
    Octofrag said:

Just so you know, NVIDIA just published a new driver yesterday (for those who already installed Win10 64bits Anniversary Update):
    http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/105851
    Along with the documentation :
    http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/372.54/372.54-win10-win8-win7-desktop-release-notes.pdf
  • pipos666pipos666
    LawBreakers Rep: 320
    edited August 17, 2016
    Octofrag said:

Hi all,

Conclusion :

[edit]

That geforce post is mine :P and today just updated to AU and the latest drivers to test again, same freaking issue, SLI is broken and no one seems to care.

CoD will work fine if you disable the SLI, but forget about 60FPS @4k without it
    Worg
  • WorgWorg
    pipos666
    pipos666 said:

That geforce post is mine :P and today just updated to AU and the latest drivers to test again, same freaking issue, SLI is broken and no one seems to care.
    CoD will work fine if you disable the SLI, but forget about 60FPS @4k without it
    Hey there :), welcome on the forum ! Thanks for the intel regarding the latest driver !
    I did not update as everything works just fine for me now that I rolled back. I'm going to do a system backup with acronis and wait a few weeks (months?) for the next win updates :p...

Just so you know, I had opened a discussion on steam as well : http://steamcommunity.com/app/311210/discussions/0/353916838206291612/
    Someone advised the following :
    After installing the AU.

Google how to uninstall the XBOX app.
    Download DDU, uninstall your graphics drivers. Re-install your graphics drivers.

Good to go then.

980Ti SLI working just like before the AU.
    So if you're up for the tests (who said guinea pig :p ?) , feel free to try :D.

• pipos666pipos666
    Octofrag said:

pipos666
    pipos666 said:

Hey there :), welcome on the forum ! Thanks for the intel regarding the latest driver !
    I did not update as everything works just fine for me now that I rolled back. I'm going to do a system backup with acronis and wait a few weeks (months?) for the next win updates :p...

Just so you know, I had opened a discussion on steam as well : http://steamcommunity.com/app/311210/discussions/0/353916838206291612/
    After installing the AU.

Download DDU, uninstall your graphics drivers. Re-install your graphics drivers.

Good to go then.

Nice, I did disable game dvr but didn't try to uninstall, I will try tonight.
  • pipos666pipos666
    pipos666
    pipos666 said:

Octofrag said:

pipos666
    pipos666 said:

After installing the AU.

Good to go then.

Disabled Game DVR, uninstalled Xbox App, removed drivers with ddu, reinstalled drivers... same issue
    Raybirth
  • WorgWorg
    Crap :(...at least thanks for trying ! Hopefully Nvidia is working on that.
  • RaybirthRaybirth
    pipos666
    pipos666 said:

pipos666
    pipos666 said:

Octofrag said:

pipos666
    pipos666 said:

After installing the AU.

Good to go then.

Disabled Game DVR, uninstalled Xbox App, removed drivers with ddu, reinstalled drivers... same issue

that's unfortunate, good luck though
  • pipos666pipos666
    Octofrag said:

Crap :(...at least thanks for trying ! Hopefully Nvidia is working on that.
    All fixed now, you can check my thread https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/956355/geforce-drivers/sli-not-working-as-it-should-after-windows-10-anniversary-update-980tis-/2/?offset=26#4958059

Hopefully this will help you.

Cheers
  • WorgWorg
    Well thanks for the intel :). So have you actually tested drivers starting from the 359 :D ??
    So to conclude, you either run on a previous windows version "or" a very old driver one :p ? Seems like I'm going to stick to the 1511 build for a while lol. Thanks for all the effort ;), that might be very helpful in case win10 manage to force the update in the end.
  • WorgWorg
    Quick update : problem is now solved with the latest upgrades (now win10 build 1607 + latest patches + latest nvidia driver dont do any damage anymore :) ).