Please note that there is a new forum user approval process before you can start posting. It may take up to 48 hours for your account to be approved.

Ledge Climb

SeveronSeveron
LawBreakers Rep: 910
edited July 31, 2017 in Beta Gameplay Feedback & Suggestions
I wonder have BossKey considered adding ledge climbing to this game? It feels odd in a game so fluid and about movement that when we are slightly short on a jump, you slam into it like you are playing an old school FPS. Halo / Destiny have added this to great effect and it just feels good to slide / lift yourself up when you are ever so slightly short. Just a thought.
  1. Add ledge climbing?10 votes
    1. Yes
       50% (5 votes)
    2. No, leave as is
       50% (5 votes)

Comments

• OneLetterOneLetter
    LawBreakers Rep: 8,065
    No current plans for adding a ledge climb into the game, especially since the mobility tactics of most of the roles are based around the low-grav zones and being able to propel yourselves instead of staying in the relatively same spot.

Good suggestion, just not planned at this time.
    EpoxyChaos_de_Tejas
  • SeveronSeveron
    edited July 31, 2017
    OneLetter wrote: »
    No current plans for adding a ledge climb into the game, especially since the mobility tactics of most of the roles are based around the low-grav zones and being able to propel yourselves instead of staying in the relatively same spot.

Good suggestion, just not planned at this time.

Hey, sorry for the belated response (work). To be clear, I am more thinking about situations like you are capturing the beacon and you need to get up to the 2nd level. Because you are protecting the point, you are forced into a more traditional stationary format of covering a lane / point.

For example:
    I want to watch the 2nd floor that overlooks the beacon. So, to get to the 2nd floor I can:
    • Blow a cool-down
    • Walk (no sprint button) around to a staircase if available
    • Jump onto an object in the environment, turn and jump up (assuming you have a double jump like the assassin)

Many characters can't reach that second floor without an investment. On the surface that can sound like "well yes, that's the rub, do you blow the resource?", but it's not a meaningful / fun choice. It feels like a limitation we are working around.

Thank you for the response, I take your point for sure, I just wanted to make sure I was being clear about where I find this 'issue' is most apparent to me.
  • EpoxyEpoxy
    LawBreakers Rep: 1,160
    Ledge climb just allows players to be a little sloppy with their movement. If you're zipping through 0g aiming for a doorway into the objective and you **.** up your trajectory that's your fault, the game shouldn't compensate for your mistake.
    KangaJooserch54
  • reaalizereaalize
    LawBreakers Rep: 745
    Epoxy wrote: »
    Ledge climb just allows players to be a little sloppy with their movement. If you're zipping through 0g aiming for a doorway into the objective and you **.** up your trajectory that's your fault, the game shouldn't compensate for your mistake.

i agree with this to an extent.. there's already so much mobility in the game i think if you blow a cooldown or just miss a jump the first time thats thought and skill based you shouldn't just be able to fail a jump and then climb a ledge when every character already has its own mobility options
  • SeveronSeveron
    edited July 31, 2017
    While I agree - I think the both can live together. If you initiate a ledge climb, you should lose 100% of your momentum. This means you are a sitting duck while you climb up (0.5 / 1 second). In this game, that is an eternity. So, if you do it in combat, you should take significant damage / die, but you can still vault up to that 2nd level for tactical positioning or if you land short, still get up to help your teammates should you not be in combat.

My focus is really on trying to give better options to people sitting on a point in defense, but want to re-position themselves to cover a lane more effectively. Ledge climbing should almost never be the preferred combat option.

I'd also put it on a button and not auto climb. That way, when in battle, it isn't triggering by accident. It is a deliberate act which lends to the tactical positioning intent for 90% of cases.
  • Chaos_de_TejasChaos_de_Tejas
    LawBreakers Rep: 800
    If they did this they would need to redesign all almost all of the maps because most of the ledges designed to not be be reached by an ordinary jump now would be. Too much effort for a feature that adds very little to the game IMO.
    serch54
  • ABSURDELINGABSURDELING
    LawBreakers Rep: 510
    The game is so fluid and dynamic but what you really want to do is hang on a ledge and camp from behind it.

Too bad you're going be shot by out of bounds turrets anyway.