This post might be a bit salty, TL;DR at the bottom. First I will vent, then become more constructive.
I hate to do this, because I think making discussion this way is not good practice, but I'm gonna do it anyway. I am actually wondering if I should get the game or not. (yes, I'm employing this shithead strategy, sorry). There's so much to like about this game, and then there's this thorn in my eye that makes me dislike it at the same time. To give some background to this, I'm going to self quote what I said on another topic.
Everytime theres a new game I hope this will be THE game I will love, but in each game there's some cancer mechanics that ruin it in the long run. You can try to ingore the things you don't like, but in the long run you will build up insane aggravation and just quit the game.
Planetside 2: the NC faction's airplane's hitbox is so big that it sucks in dogfights. I don't wanna switch factions and start all over again.
Dirty Bomb: Snipers are OP as hell, have insanely high bodyshot damage, and 1 shot headshot kills. Accelerated player movement makes sniping easy in this game
Overwatch: 0 player movement acceleration and large projectile sizes make luck a really big factor in this game. HANZO $*$**$*$* The game also is lacking vital UI elements like proper healthbars and damage indicators. No team status UI either.
I really want to like lawbreakers, but playing in the beta I already find myself incredibly frustrated with some things. And I feel like those things make me leave the game in the long run. I might be able to put myself over it for a while, but not forever. At least they will already have my money.
What am I referring to? The battle medic
. This hero ruins the fun of this game for me. The healing drone just ruins otherwise fun and fair engagements. Press a button and your teammate has won the fight. This scumbag strategy is exacerbated by the frequent occurrence of unbalanced matches where one team is with 1 less player. The team with a man up then runs battle medic, to ensure that there is NOTHING left of whatever little chance the opposing team had to make plays. I can't describe in words how my soul dies when I'm fighting an equally skilled player, be at a miniscule health advantage because I optimized my aim slightly better than the opponent, be about to get rewarded for my better tracking, and have some scumbag enemy no skill battle medic ruin it by pressing e. (ok.. this character still takes skill, but... #*$^&%@#@#$&*) Call me a scrub or whatever, but I have the right to express my deepest disenjoyment of this mechanic.
Ok, thanks for reading through that, below I argue with actual arguments why I think the current implementation of the battle medic is bad.
Let's look at the healers in planetside 2. This class isn't frustrating at all to play against for several reasons.
1. The TTK is much lower, you can melt someone that is being healed easily.
2. Healers don't apply a shield to their targets
3. Most importantly, healers must put themselves at risk to heal teammates, as the range of healing abilities is 3 meters only.
4. The healer class cannot fire weapons while healing. Alike mercy's healbeam, it is equipped and channeled in the main hand.
Now let's take a look at LB's battle medic.
1. The healer has to put themselves at no risk at all while healing a teammate. They can do it from a comfortable distance.
2. The healing and shield disproportionally benefit characters with small hitboxes and low health totals. It is much harder to chew through an 80 point shield on a gunslinger than the same on a titan. If small hitboxes are part of that character's survivability, healing and shieding makes them unkillable. Not to mention if that character's damage out put is high like gunslinger (to compensate for their low health), you cannot survive long vs gunslingers.
3. The healer uses the ability off handed, and can pelt their enemies with grenades all while healing 2 teammates at once.
Let's fix this massively unfun mechanic. I'm not actually sure if I know a good fix, but if you complain you should also suggest solutions. The following three points form one suggestion.
1. Remove the healing drone shield alltogether.
2. Healing does not apply if the target has taken damage in the last 1 second. -> no more in combat healing.
3. Healing now has the same speed as the health stations located on the map. The healing ramps up over time so a high health total target can be healed relatively quickly. If the healed target deals damage to an enemy, the healing is interrupted similarly to health station heals.
With these changes, the battle medic is still relevant, because it lets teammates regain their health without them having to waste time finding a health station. With less wasted time they can contribute to contesting the objective much sooner.
This might also drastically reduce the power level of the battle medic role as a whole. Buffs could be applied to other areas of the character, such as their grenade launcher, to offset this power loss.
These changes should completely remove the aspect of this hero that gives me cancer. Which is frag denial in the lamest form.
The battle medic ruins this game for me. It is the worst feeling to have your playmaking potential taken away by a player who does this by their mere existence. Rework battle medic to be an out of combat healer. Remove the role's frag denial aspect. Buff the nade launcher and out of combat healing output.