Please note that there is a new forum user approval process before you can start posting. It may take up to 48 hours for your account to be approved.

General Blitzball Feedback

Comments

• N3WM4NH4774NN3WM4NH4774N
    LawBreakers Rep: 510
    Match time is way too long & score limit too high. First game of this beta period, we were tied 3:3 with 12 minutes to go and I was bored. We ended up going the full time limit without reaching score cap.

5 min or 5 goals please. I want Titanfall or Rocket League pace.

I did not come back to play again because I didn't want another 20m game.
  • OipracOiprac
    LawBreakers Rep: 310
    Mainly found the maps to be a bit small for classes like the Vanguard and Assassin can bring the ball in lightning quick.

But i did find the ability for one team to completely turn the game around invigorating.
  • MattCVMattCV
    LawBreakers Rep: 1,255
    I felt like it was a very good gamemode.

It brought a role for each class in the game and I think it is the gamemode that a competative meta will quickly develop around.

You can have your defenders like jugg and titan on the goal line, your runners in assassin and wraith, enforcers or gunslingers defending the middle ground.

Look forward to seeing how it will progress going forward.
    AmericanKrogan
  • MonocleMonocle
    LawBreakers Rep: 210
    Blitzball is great! My favorite competetive gamemode. Uplink is great also but the battery one lacks substance sometimes. Maybe a added factor could make it more intresting? Overall game is looking perfect but please give a small nerf to wraith. Its a little overpowered.
    AmericanKrogan
  • EpoxyEpoxy
    LawBreakers Rep: 1,160
    edited July 9, 2017
    Need an "interact" hotkey that allows you to pickup the ball instead of just walking over it. That same hotkey could throw/pass the ball as well which would be especially fun if the ball carrier had some sort of debuff while carrying. Also, the shield on the ball slows the pace down unnecessarily, get rid of the shield and make players shoot/throw the ball into a goal of some sort (repurposed 0g spheres would be phenomenal). The pace would increase drastically making it more intense and fun to play while also decreasing prevalence of cheese strats. Blocking shots, intercepting passes (maybe tanks could even throw harder/farther than squishy mobile fraggers to add yet another layer of strategy) and range-dependent scoring (ie: FGs vs 3s in basketball) would be a huge shot of hype-roids in Blitzball's arm imo. You'd increase the potential for comebacks and make winning/losing feel better without as much cheesy crap as the current iteration has.

Trying to balance each game mode on every map is a big problem though tbh I think. Having specific maps balanced for 1-2 modes each would add more esports strategy with map picks/bans and would improve the overall quality of gameplay as each map would then be tailored to highlight each mode's strengths and mitigate its' weaknesses.

If it's not clear, btw, I'm looking at all of this from a purely competitive POV. Blizzard is afraid to cater to the highest skill players like DOTA does and are actively **.** their comp/pro scene in the process in the hopes of encouraging more casual players to buy loot boxes. I really don't want BK to shy away from giving the competitive scene everything it needs/wants to flourish. No need to artificially try to create a pro scene (again, like Blizz did horribly) but if the game is continuously balanced for competitive gameplay LB has a lot of potential to organically develop a very healthy pro scene imo.

EDIT: Also, what if you had multiple goals you a ball-carrier could score on? 5 pts for scoring at "hard" goal locations (ie: requires you to "shoot" the ball into a highly exposed or easily defensible net and 2 for scoring at "easy" goal locations (like current "run over this spot" goals)? Match becomes a bo5, ball respawns 3x after a goal or shot clock violation, team with most points after 3 balls wins the round. Shot clock extends 5-10s with passing but has rapidly diminishing returns. Ball-carrier has his damage heavily gimped but retains everything else in his kit.
    lawbreaker9000AmericanKrogan
  • lawbreaker9000lawbreaker9000
    LawBreakers Rep: 1,645
    edited July 9, 2017
    Epoxy wrote: »
    Need an "interact" hotkey that allows you to pickup the ball instead of just walking over it. That same hotkey could throw/pass the ball as well which would be especially fun if the ball carrier had some sort of debuff while carrying. Also, the shield on the ball slows the pace down unnecessarily, get rid of the shield and make players shoot/throw the ball into a goal of some sort (repurposed 0g spheres would be phenomenal). The pace would increase drastically making it more intense and fun to play while also decreasing prevalence of cheese strats. Blocking shots, intercepting passes (maybe tanks could even throw harder/farther than squishy mobile fraggers to add yet another layer of strategy) and range-dependent scoring (ie: FGs vs 3s in basketball) would be a huge shot of hype-roids in Blitzball's arm imo. You'd increase the potential for comebacks and make winning/losing feel better without as much cheesy crap as the current iteration has.

Trying to balance each game mode on every map is a big problem though tbh I think. Having specific maps balanced for 1-2 modes each would add more esports strategy with map picks/bans and would improve the overall quality of gameplay as each map would then be tailored to highlight each mode's strengths and mitigate its' weaknesses.

If it's not clear, btw, I'm looking at all of this from a purely competitive POV. Blizzard is afraid to cater to the highest skill players like DOTA does and are actively **.** their comp/pro scene in the process in the hopes of encouraging more casual players to buy loot boxes. I really don't want BK to shy away from giving the competitive scene everything it needs/wants to flourish. No need to artificially try to create a pro scene (again, like Blizz did horribly) but if the game is continuously balanced for competitive gameplay LB has a lot of potential to organically develop a very healthy pro scene imo.

EDIT: Also, what if you had multiple goals you a ball-carrier could score on? 5 pts for scoring at "hard" goal locations (ie: requires you to "shoot" the ball into a highly exposed or easily defensible net and 2 for scoring at "easy" goal locations (like current "run over this spot" goals)? Match becomes a bo5, ball respawns 3x after a goal or shot clock violation, team with most points after 3 balls wins the round. Shot clock extends 5-10s with passing but has rapidly diminishing returns. Ball-carrier has his damage heavily gimped but retains everything else in his kit.

As much i disliked your comment in the other topic as good and well thought through it is in this topic.Really like it this time.Not bad at all. This :

a26b92757fe9a6f685414d3b55374c89.jpg

Needs to happen, totaly your opinion.
    If a player lets the ball fall down a cliff or he does not catch the throw of his teammate and the ball falls down then they could ad just a triggering volume under the low gravity sections so that when the ball falls down in this triggering volume and the hitbox of the ball conects with the triggering volume, the ball just floats up again on the point where it got into the triggering volume and hovers there mid air on place as long as a player picks it up again .

Or Just let the ball respawn in the middle of the map , after a certain count down so that both teams have time to come to the middle again before the ball respawns, if it falls down the cliff, that would also work.

You could also make the hitbox of the ball bigger than the actual ball to make it a bit easier to catch the ball at high speed.
    Alternit
  • RamoneMisfitRamoneMisfit
    LawBreakers Rep: 100
    It is indeed very easy to score on the opposite team due to the maps being rather small considering the type of mobility you have as you are able to fly through one end of the map to the other. What they can do is block certain paths leaving one or two open... this would make it easier for the defending team to defend of course since they will have a better idea of where the carrier will be coming from; And it would also encourage everyone else on the carrier's team to act using teamwork to wipe out the aforementioned defense.
  • EpoxyEpoxy
    LawBreakers Rep: 1,160
    It is indeed very easy to score on the opposite team due to the maps being rather small considering the type of mobility you have as you are able to fly through one end of the map to the other. What they can do is block certain paths leaving one or two open... this would make it easier for the defending team to defend of course since they will have a better idea of where the carrier will be coming from; And it would also encourage everyone else on the carrier's team to act using teamwork to wipe out the aforementioned defense.

Ill pass on this idea. Having fewer flank routes would only make the game easier for defense and more boring for offense. It would invalidate a lot of strats as well leading to shallow gameplay and minimal replay ability, see overwatch for the most current example of that particular failure.
  • AmericanKroganAmericanKrogan
    LawBreakers Rep: 825
    Epoxy wrote: »

There are some real gems in this post, I think it should be it's own thread. Seriously. :)
  • ZeniitheZeniithe
    LawBreakers Rep: 980
    I haven't read most of these comments but here is my feedback:

- A pop up that says who scored the blitzball so people know who is doing the lifting
    - In one game I watched one of the flying characters, I think it was Mavrick, pick up the ball and fly it straight into the goal like it was nothing. The player went straight from the middle to the goal, I thought wowee. Other people have said to slow down the player with the ball but that wouldn't be fun for the person with the ball
    - When you are in the spawn area or on the other side of the wall of the goal and someone scores the blast still hits you. I've fallen off the map because of that. I like the blast but it might be better to contain it to the room with the goal and not have it go through walls
  • MrTeKMrTeK
    LawBreakers Rep: 420
    Blizball is fun but depending on your team, it's hard to stop the carrier.
    From what I've seen/played, usually the team grabing the Ball is the team scoring.

Also, it's a game mode that put the teamwork to another level because if your teamates arent working on the objective/scoring/grabing the Ball then you'll lose. The gamemode combined with the speed and mobility of some characters doesn't allow flexibility on errors or bad position on the map.
    All that said, it's not a game mode for new players, I feel. I really wonder how this game mode would be with experienced players and a proper voice chat.

Personally it wasn't my favorite game mode, but it most be because sometimes I was the only guys chasing the ball holder. Again, it might be a fun game mode with experienced/skilled players. Maybe a rank system would help :)
  • SupaFlyLBSupaFlyLB
    LawBreakers Rep: 400
    I personally do not enjoy a game mode that encourages players to be chicken sh--s . It also makes me sorry for all those juggernauts who play goalie (in a FPS?!?).

I understand some people like it, so one thing I could think of is maybe add an optional mode down-vote function. Or is there a fear you can't find 9 other people with similar votes? If so I am fine with being removed from a lobby if the game is transitioning to the mode I don't want to play. Right now I can just leave matchmaking once I see the mode, but that is lame for people who have to wait longer for a replacement. Or perhaps the plan is for ranked mode queuing to be on a selected game mode (if so then I guess this becomes less important)?

May be a bit late now, but I wouldn't mind the mode changed some. I read a suggestion of requiring you to take the ball back to you base first before going to the goal, but I would be fine if the goals were simply replaced with a turf war-esque capture zone with the added requirement that a player has to be holding the ball in it to make progress on the capture. Movement is fast, but not all the classes are created equal, and this would help alleviate that some. I would be fine with the capture being incontestable. Solo it can be done but it takes more time. With more of your team there, it goes much faster. Shot clock and goals to win would be adjusted.
  • serch54serch54
    LawBreakers Rep: 400
    I love the mode. When your team has a couple guys on D, and some fast\support guys going for the ball, it makes for a really game type.
    However, the suggestion of no weapons for the ball carrier, or it being the weapon, and the ability to pass (with your now unused weapon button) sounds really cool
  • MrTeKMrTeK
    LawBreakers Rep: 420
    Another way that could give room for some mistake would be to slow down the carrier by more or less 25%.
    It's just a randow number and the real multiplier of how much you slow down the carrier would need to be tested.

This way, if you're slighy behind the carrier you still have a chance to get back to him/yur base and help your team.
    Also slower character wouldn't need to stay in the base.

Also, I don't recall seing a countdown on the screen for when the Ball can be picked. Sometime I was fighting another player to realize the carrier is actually already on it,s way to score. All in all maybe a better way to let everyone know exectly when you can pick it up would help too, like a countdown from 3 to 0 sec on the screen (with a voice saying the countdown too).
  • GoidGoid
    LawBreakers Rep: 1,125
    As the others have said, it honestly ends up not being much fun because if an Assassin picks up the ball, which there are usually 2 or 3 of on a team in my games (please add a class limit!), then they cap the ball in 2 seconds or so with ease. I'm in favor of the losing your abilities idea, but would rather it just be your movement ability. If nothing else, this would at least make it more fair AND increase the need for teamwork and cooperation. I feel like cutting all abilities is a bit much but would definitely be doable with just the movement reduced. Increasing map sizes slightly would be good too and not just for this mode in my opinion, but that seems less likely.

i think the ball should just replace your weapon when you pick it up. that makes it so the assassin cant use her grapple, the wraith cant use his knife lung and all classes cant blind fire to speed past the 0g zones