Please note that there is a new forum user approval process before you can start posting. It may take up to 48 hours for your account to be approved.

General Blitzball Feedback

Comments

• KeallierKeallier
    LawBreakers Rep: 410
    I enjoyed this game mode. some of the characters were a little OP in my opinion for this like that vanguard and assassin. really fast and hard to kill and they are at the net faster then you can click your finger.
  • CmacTarmacCmacTarmac
    This new mode was very fun and enjoyable but it needs a couple fixes. The maps need to be bigger or the goals need to be placed somewhere more further or higher. And the shot clock needs to be reduced to either 20 to 25 seconds. And one last thing would be to limit the power of certain classes that give a player or team an advantage like the assassin class, because sometimes assassins are really hard to kill!. But other than those three Blitzball is really fun to play!.
    lawbreaker9000
  • LuckyCluckyLuckyClucky
    LawBreakers Rep: 445
    edited May 21, 2017
    This mode seems to be the mode that unbalances characters because fast characters have an enormous advantage over slow ones so if playing competitively many of the character would become obsolete.
  • MagniMagni
    LawBreakers Rep: 720
    edited May 22, 2017
    Like some of others posts, I think the carrier should not be able to use any of his abilities (or can't use movement abilities), but I prefer the all one.
    And he can pass the ball to his mates. Reduce the timer to 25 seconds too.

Add a little timer to pick up the ball like the battery after a goal. Or,
    I like the idea to have both team respawn in their camp after a goal, but I think it will be bad for the game speed.
  • FeikuFeiku
    LawBreakers Rep: 500
    Blitzball is my favorite because as wraith you can just easily win the game for your team with literally no opposition it's ridiculous.
    But yes it should have a bigger map cap point so that people have the opportunity to gank you on your path rather than just have you slide on over in less than 5 seconds.

Later on when people are better at the game people might actually defend the enemies cap point path and kill the carrier. I did play against a team that did just that and would murder you 2 ft from the cap point, jack the ball, then run with it.

It's just too easy to get distracted TDMing during blitzball xD
  • THE_BEY0NDERTHE_BEY0NDER
    LawBreakers Rep: 210
    Problem with Blitzball is that the map is way to small for this mode to be any fun in the long run. I suggest making the ball carrier move super slow & force team mates to help the ball carrier reach the goal.
    LuckyClucky
  • AlionPlaysAlionPlays
    LawBreakers Rep: 420
    1. Remove full health on pickup
    2. Remove ball pick up channel time
    3. Add capture channel time to emphasize team fights at objective locations rather than at ball spawn location (as well as improve the affect of the spawn being near the goal for the defending team).
    4. Make the ball carrier visible through walls as it would make finding them a lot easier than just having an icon over their heads.
  • KatherineLianKatherineLian
    LawBreakers Rep: 310
    Blitzball can be superrrrr frustrating.

There is a huge need for large maps to play on for this type of game. It is essentially the same thing as capture the flag but the ball starts in the middle.
    One of the blitzball games I played on station had one person score every point SUPER quick with a jetpack and it was almost pointless to play. If the maps were bigger I would definitely enjoy it
    lawbreaker9000
  • TaskuTasku
    edited May 23, 2017
    I loved blitz ball, but I think it needs more team work elements to separate it from the other mods. something like, passing the ball would not only be really cool and fitting for the game mode, but also help employ team work and get more strategy going, instead of the quiet, "get the ball, kill the ball holder" strategies that arise. ~~oops, someone already stated it XD
    lawbreaker9000
  • TheNandoShowTheNandoShow
    My first impression of the mode was absolutely terrible: Constantly going 0-8 and matches being over in a very short amount of time. But once I wrapped my head around the fact that it's meant to be a team based game, I found it to be very enjoyable
  • Wolf_the_LegendWolf_the_Legend
    LawBreakers Rep: 620
    actually it is fun to score within 5 seconds after you get the ball. It's also only posible, because the enemy isen't defending the goal. (everyone is going for the ball)

the question is, is it fun to defend? ...

one Thing that might should change, is after your team scorred the other team should have the ball in front of there base, so they shoud have the ball in 99,99% of cases.
  • atavaxatavax
    LawBreakers Rep: 1,880
    edited May 23, 2017
    I think a lot of the time, the points feel like they weren't really earned.

I think a lot of people don't have the skills to stop highly mobile players

I think the mode takes advantage of the utility of the Juggernaught, wraith, and assasin to such a degree that class balance is broken during the gamemode.

I am very against removing abilities from the ball carrier. I am also very afraid of the gamemode creating lots of stalemates if any significant debuff happens to the ball carrier. Maybe just a couple things to slow it down a little. Maybe whenever someone picks up the blitzball everyone on the other team is resurrected. Maybe like a speed debuff and a damage buff on the ball carrier. So it gives the enemy more time to set up a defense, but make the ball carrier a little more of a badass.
  • PROJPROJ
    LawBreakers Rep: 855
    edited May 24, 2017
    I'll quote what I wrote from my feedback thread:
    I know this mode is somewhat controversial, but it’s by far my favorite mode. It really comes into its own in higher level play, and most of my favorite games from the tourney on Sunday were from this mode. With competent players, you actually see a lot of back and forth and a lot of good defensive stops. It also feels like the mode that best rewards skills other than standard deathmatching skills.

One of the inherent problems of a mode like blitzball is that the interesting play it presents to higher level players eludes lower level players fundamentally. You can’t really balance it for both ends, because it requires a base level of mechanical competence to play it “properly.” It also gets some strategic and tactical depth from having a lot of non-obvious interactions. For example, people complain about assassins or wraiths grabbing the ball and scoring in a few seconds. However, if they do manage to cap, they are now stuck in a corner of the map with likely low health. If you kill them after they cap, you create a 5v4 advantage for the next ball spawn for your team. Interactions like these simultaneously give the game a tactical depth while alienating players that don’t really think about these interactions.

Rather than changing the mode in a way that probably won’t appease the people complaining about it and make it worse for higher level players (since these problems are fundamental to the mode), I’d rather suggest lowering the chance of playing blitzball at lower mmr tiers. I think there would be much less complaints about it if only one out of ten games was blitzball; it would be an inconvenience at best to those who don’t enjoy it.

I should add additionally that slowing down the carrier or stripping them of their abilities is probably a bad idea and would actively disincentivize picking up the ball. A huge chunk of the interesting gameplay occurs because you can act as a solo threat and it allows for different gameplay paradigms like having dedicated defenders as well as showcasing some of the movement skills that become so important to master in the mode. I feel like changes along these lines won't truly satisfy those who don't like it to begin with and will just turn it into a defensive slog or another "group up and deathmatch the other team" mode which we already have in overcharge.
    lawbreaker9000
  • KiraysKirays
    The maps do seem to be a little too small for a game mode like this as others have pointed out.
    Being able to pass the ball to a team-mate would be awesome and give the entire mode a unique style.
    Reducing the speed of the carrier might be a good idea but not by much since a part of the issue is simply not everyone being accustomed with the speed of the game I believe.

By the way, the ball animations are soooo cute. <3
    Lanceliogs
  • Wolf_the_LegendWolf_the_Legend
    another thing ... respawn ppl a lot faster in blitzball ... watching the enemy scorre while you are still dead is just annoing ... if I can scorre in under 5 second, the respawn should be like 1 second. (even then I dk if someone would be able to stop me after respawn)
  • Tane1Tane1
    LawBreakers Rep: 320
    I made new thread for alternation mode for Blitzball - Shootball.
  • DEVPROCBDEVPROCB
    LawBreakers Rep: 1,320
    Need a way to know when the ball is ready to grab as opposed to when it spawned. I noticed like myself once the ball is respawned there is a shield around it that dies down eventually and then you can grab it. Does the shield only go down when someone is standing on it? This caused a lot of deaths around the balls as people were trying to go back and grab the ball again and it was not ready to grab.
  • NumbDutsNumbDuts
    LawBreakers Rep: 1,670
    Listen for audio cue's:
    The ball has been respawned. (means its at the center now, but not ready for play yet).
    The ball is now ready for play. (the ball can be picked up, but yes, just like battery, there is a cooldown mode before you can grab it, so everyone can try to make their way to the middle, or stay on defense at the enemies 'goal' area (in your base).
    The ball has been taken by enemy/ally. (whichever one has picked it up, either try to kill enemy with it, or stop them from reaching your base to cap it for a point. Or, if your team picked it up, try to help ball carrier, or run to enemy base to protect the goal).
  • NimrailNimrail
    From what I've played, (I decided not to watch the tutorial before the first 3 games to see how hard would it be to grasp the game mechanics) I'd say that there are 2 things that need most attention:
    1. The ball looks must be much more apparent against the arena:
    2. The actions regarding the game-mode must be more apparent, especially in little maps like the one we can play during the beta.

The ball is too small, it basically has the same colour as the background and the way you pick it up (channelling it) goes against the game flow. My suggestion would be to make it bigger, with a drastic colour change and have an action to take it instead of stay there xx seconds.

In general, it is difficult to follow the game objective progress just as it is to keep the "team-deathmatch part" of the game going, and in my opinion there should be a difference considering if we are playing a specific game mode, it's because we want to follow the rules of that specific mode. Probably this issue is more HUD-related than anything
    This is my opinion for now.
  • NumbDutsNumbDuts
    LawBreakers Rep: 1,670
    Wow.
    There is a big, huge really, indicator of where the ball is, that follows it wherever it goes (through walls, etc). Its always on. It literally takes 1 second to find it on the map.
    And, where to place it is also indicated.
    I am colorblind, and it is easy for me to find.
    Make it red, with red markers indicating where it is, and I would never see it.

I think some people just think the game is DM, or TDM, and dont know what to do.
    Once they figure out what to do, they have very little issues with the gameplay itself.

Not trying to belittle your post, or your issues, just adding my 2 cents.