Please note that there is a new forum user approval process before you can start posting. It may take up to 48 hours for your account to be approved.

General Blitzball Feedback

OneLetterOneLetter
LawBreakers Rep: 8,065
edited May 19, 2017 in Beta Gameplay Feedback & Suggestions
Let's fill this thread with your general feedback on the new mode, and everything that goes with it.

For those that haven't tried it, watch below:

GO!
M89WitcherRefeon

Comments

• cmbaily2cmbaily2
    LawBreakers Rep: 1,120
    The only real problem I had with the mode is the map sizes being a little too small from where the carrier picks up the ball to the goal. It's near impossible to even catch up with the enemy carrier once they get it. Especially on the new map. That's way too short of a gap to close, and an easy goal for whoever gets the ball. That's really my only issue, the map size.

Other than that, I freakin' love the game mode! Ha, great work at Boss Key! It really mixes things up from the usual classic shooter modes, and you guys nailed it.

P.S. The wraith is a GOD tier pick for Blitz ball... Although i'm not sure what you guys can do about that. :D
    HentaiCherryBoyEpoxyemalbSsigmaA
  • PureSangheiliPureSangheili
    LawBreakers Rep: 1,085
    edited May 20, 2017
    Imo as i sayed a lot, the only problem is to get full health while taking the ball. It make too easy to carry the ball to the goal.
  • Roggan29Roggan29
    LawBreakers Rep: 310
    Currently is just getting the ball with a fast character and than you are not able to stop him. There is no good defense character. Only the executor is slightly good in defense with blocking the enmies path to the goal.
    I thin the carrier should have disabled all his abilities. Then he cant get so fast to the goal and it would encourage more teamplay instead of solo rushing to the goal.
  • Wolf_the_LegendWolf_the_Legend
    LawBreakers Rep: 620
    edited May 20, 2017
    may give the ball guy a huge shild on pickup, but slow down his move speed alot.

but I would say, don't place the goal on the floor ... it should be high in the air

sure not every class would be able to deliver or you give them a long way around alternative.
  • DogDog
    LawBreakers Rep: 475
    I think the easiest way to prevent rapid captures would be to make the capture zone have a channel time before it captures, similar to the channel time to pick up the battery. It seems a bit weird that your team would leave your goal with absolutely no protections around it, so a shield protecting the goal seems reasonable. It prevents back caps from faster characters unless you really can't hit the broad side of a barn, and it lets the slower, tankier characters have more time to operate in their optimal environment of defending or attacking an objective.
    Epoxy
  • VoodooKills24VoodooKills24
    LawBreakers Rep: 440
    As the others have said, it honestly ends up not being much fun because if an Assassin picks up the ball, which there are usually 2 or 3 of on a team in my games (please add a class limit!), then they cap the ball in 2 seconds or so with ease. I'm in favor of the losing your abilities idea, but would rather it just be your movement ability. If nothing else, this would at least make it more fair AND increase the need for teamwork and cooperation. I feel like cutting all abilities is a bit much but would definitely be doable with just the movement reduced. Increasing map sizes slightly would be good too and not just for this mode in my opinion, but that seems less likely.
  • NumbDutsNumbDuts
    LawBreakers Rep: 1,670
    Like the others, I really like this mode.
    But, yes, you get medic with 20 minutes flying time, or the other character, and you get all people playing 2 classes. No teamwork as said.
    Also, I noticed that players would just not get the ball, and all but 1 would go to where the ball needs to be placed and camp there.

To mitigate all of these frustrations, I would do this:
    Make both teams go back to like at first start, after a ball cap. Then both sides respawn at the same time, have the same chance to get the ball, and cant spawn camp. It might be a little harsh, but it would get rid of all the issues except the 2 OP flight/movement chars being too fast.
  • rafarafa
    LawBreakers Rep: 725
    Blitzball mode isnt good. I think you guys remove this mode or try to change a lot of things in this mode.
    ScrubsUseWraith
  • cmbaily2cmbaily2
    rafa wrote: »
    Blitzball mode isn't good. I think you guys remove this mode or try to change a lot of things in this mode.

I disagree with it being all together bad... it does need some work IMO as far as maps go though. They need to make it so it's only the fastest characters who can guaranteed win. I run Wraith every time because of that.
    Refeon
  • AlternitAlternit
    LawBreakers Rep: 975
    edited May 20, 2017
    This mode is the worst one of the 3 in my opinion. Outside of reactor, the maps just aren't made for it. Reactor has a room that can be defended fairly easily but even with that the amount of time you have on the shot clock + the amount of ultimates available + the strength of a lot of the movement abilities (Assassins) makes it nearly impossible to stop brute force attacks. We actually ran 10 man captains/PUG games and it usually ended up with the team that managed to grab the ball first scoring with their assassin/wraith/vanguard. The Juggernaught wall doesn't cover enough to make it worthwhile and it only takes 1 Titan rocket to break it. Playing with 1 player on defense just reduces your chances of winning the ball in the middle in the first place and they'll probably brute force their way in anyway. Theres not much you can do when they double medic dome in the goal room and just run right through with an assassin dash. It takes about 4-5 seconds to score once you pick up the ball, there is not much counterplay to someone picking up the ball. If you lose the fight in the middle you are looking at 7-8 seconds of respawn time before you can get back to Defend but at that point it'll be too late with how easy it is to score.

The maps are just too small for this gamemode and I'm disappointed that the gamemode is called "ball" because the ball is essentially just a prop that doesn't have the properties you would think a ball would have in a gamemode called "blitzball". I was expecting some sort of uplink type mode where you can throw the ball and possibly pass but instead it was just a 1 flag CTF mode that doesn't fit well with the speed of Lawbreakers and the map sizes of Lawbreakers.

So some possible changes that I would like to see and try playing with are:
    - Ball carrier can't use LMB/RMB
    - Shot clock reduced to like 20 or 30 seconds
    - Possibly slowing down the carrier?
    - Maps need to be longer or the goals need to be pushed back, possibly add extra rooms to the maps where you can stick the goals just for when Blitzball is the gamemode?
    - 1 class limits I think need to be a thing in any sort of Ranked mode that comes out in the future. Stacking things like Medics or Assassins ruins this mode before you even start playing. (I think this is true for all the modes personally).
    cmbaily2
  • cmbaily2cmbaily2
    Those are some good ideas ^^. Carrier shouldn't be able to use abilities and maybe even only a limited amount of ammo. That would really encourage some actual teamwork.
    My biggest gripe is the maps. Impossible to catch an assassin or wraith with the ball most of the time. Then you end up with people just camping the base, which is no fun.
    Assassin (IMO) still has huge issues with being OP with the blades. Many tests and tweaks later and she is still ridiculous ha.
  • ChefLubuChefLubu
    LawBreakers Rep: 415
    Disable movement abilities while the carrier has the ball

or

Make the ball runner weigh more so they are held down and don't get as much momentum/air.
    serch54
  • RealmjumperRealmjumper
    LawBreakers Rep: 1,325
    edited May 20, 2017
    I think the ball should slow the carrier down some. Wraiths can cap super fast against new players.

Update #1
    I love playing Juggernaut defense on Blitzball. I can slow down assassins who try to cap fast with my wall and then my teammates on the other side kill them. Juggernaut is a great class for Blitzball.
    serch54
  • cmbaily2cmbaily2
    What do you guys think of this idea...

The ball runner has no movement abilities or his/her weapon... but instead the actual ball itself is their only weapon?
    LanceliogsKarma3636
  • junkmailjunkmail
    LawBreakers Rep: 420
    • The goal is now wall-mounted at a reasonable height rather than being a hole in the ground.

This has a number of purposes. First, now instead of just running over a hole in the ground, you have to dunk the ball making you feel a lot cooler. Secondly, it forces players to burn their movement on the scoring, meaning that the opposing team has more chances to catch up to the ball holder. Finally, by making the ball holder jump, you force them to open themselves up and allow for more interceptions and knockbacks.
    Lanceliogslawbreaker9000
  • drZymodrZymo
    LawBreakers Rep: 345
    UT had bombing run. There you could throw the bomb/ball. Maybe the above suggestions that the carrier can't use their abilities in combination with throwing might make it more playable.

On the other hand, the games I played where some guys defended (with juggernaut) and the others capture the ball were great. Even when the opponent cap'ed the ball they couldn't get through our defenses in time. We took the ball back and scored. Was great fun.
    Lanceliogs
  • AlternitAlternit
    LawBreakers Rep: 975
    edited May 21, 2017
    The pacing of the gamemode is the biggest problem the more I play it. There is little to no downtime, its just always "Ball, ball, ball, ball, wheres the ball!?, Ball!?, We have ball!?, They have ball!?". It is super chaotic and there no downtime to regroup or even think. There really isn't any time to transition from being on the offensive to being on the defensive because of how quickly you can score. If you die and the other team picks up the ball you will most likely not respawn in time to even try to defend the goal.

How does the ball/objective decide who gets to pick it up? Is it based on who stood on it first or who's body is "more" ontop of it? There have been multiple instances where it turns into a giant cluster **.** of everyone sitting on the ball/battery while the shield is going down and me getting frustrated over somehow not winning it even though I was clearly on top of it along with a teammate or enemy.
  • Kelpy_GKelpy_G
    LawBreakers Rep: 305
    As many others have said, I think it's way too easy for the faster classes, like Assassin or Wraith, to capture the ball in just a few seconds. Defenders also have almost no chance to stop the person with the ball. To combat this, I think that you guys could, one, move the goals farther away or to spots that are easier to defend, two, add a delay to capturing the ball, or, three, add debuffs to the person carrying the ball. That could be slowing them, giving them less health, or removing their movement abilities. I think any or all of these changes could make Blitzball a lot more fun and fair.

Oh, I also think that you should be able to pass the ball to other players on your team. I think that could add at least a little bit of a teamwork for the team that has the ball.
    lawbreaker9000
  • NumbDutsNumbDuts
    LawBreakers Rep: 1,670
    Kelpy_G wrote: »
    Oh, I also think that you should be able to pass the ball to other players on your team. I think that could add at least a little bit of a teamwork for the team that has the ball.

Oooh, that is a fun idea!
    I really like the sound of that.
    Dunno if it will work in real gameplay, as others will be protecting ball carrier, or in a fight themselves alone. But, it sounds fun.
    Taskulawbreaker9000
  • PureSangheiliPureSangheili
    LawBreakers Rep: 1,085
    It is way better since the last patch. Actually it isnt so easy to carry the ball to the enemy base. It easier to die, so the it isnt even free. :)
    Lanceliogs