Please note that there is a new forum user approval process before you can start posting. It may take up to 48 hours for your account to be approved.

IMPROVE VISUAL CLARITY

RealNovaRealNova
LawBreakers Rep: 260
in General PC Discussion
i feel like often is not that clear what happen around you, mostly if you play with minimun setting and low resoluction like me, and i have a good pc. (i think the majority of the player play with low setting becouse the game need some really good computer for run good)
FlickshotXXLppenguindanielboos

Comments

• FlickshotXXLFlickshotXXL
    LawBreakers Rep: 1,655
    It's one of the best FPS games with the poorest visual clarity. I agree. It's been said since Alpha and we are still waiting for some major improvements.
    - The HUD is overcharged with 0g effects around the screen, on the borders.
    - Red blood effect when wounded around the borders.
    - Maps are red. Namsan came out, same problem again.
    - Spawn doors are red
    - Enemies are red (outline)
    - On top of that, both enemies/allies can wear red skins.
    - Allies have white names, you often can't read their names on maps like Mammoth.
    - Now they show you a giant text line on screen to tell you who grabbed the ball, etc.
    - Wraith has a red icon around the crosshair when the wasp stab lunge is back and ready to use, that's on top of having a crosshair and hitmarkers, etc.
    - Etc.

The film industry has been existing for over 30 years, games for over 20 years and it's as if BKP has never heard of color theory or user-experience ever before.
    RealNova
    The TSSAA (Temporal Super Sampling) found in DOOM (2016) is amazing. I wish LB could have a similar solution.
    ATUDmWU.jpg

The two AA options in LawBreakers are just bad. FXAA doesn't deem to do much and Temporal AA looks like crap, plus it comes with visual artifacts.
  • RoOhDiNiRoOhDiNi
    LawBreakers Rep: 650
    I've been asking for 4xMSAA months ago. Nobody seems to care.
    RoOhDiNi wrote: »
    LawBreakers uses Unreal ENgine 4 and it probably uses Deferred Rendering which is why it LB doesn't have MSAA that mainly works with Forward Rendering.
    For DOOM 2016, Id Software created their own AA solution.
    Random user from the DOOM forums:

Then there's id's own TSSAA (Temporal Super Sampling) in which the game takes samples from the past 8 rendered frames and applies them as anti aliasing. Absolutely zero aliasing artifacts, zero shader aliasing, a five frame performance impact, but it's EXTREMELY soft looking. (it doesn't smear over texture quality like FXAA does, but it does create an almost "filmic" softness around the edges.
  • iLikeCookiesQiLikeCookiesQ
    LawBreakers Rep: 1,920
    I do agree that the red outline around enemies could be upgraded. I notice I lose track of where the enemy is (for very brief moments), when they are actually right in front of me. The crosshair is white, and character models mostly look grey from a distance. If the red were brighter or have a thicker edge it might become easier to track people. Note that our brains aren't simply tasked with spotting the red outline, but also with keeping track of where it is when there are 2 effects That cause it to move:

1. Our camera moves rapidly, which causes the target to move to a different spot on our screen
    2. The target has their own semi predictable movement pattern, which you have no influence over. This also causes the target to move across the screen

These two effects make it hard for a player to track their target. (Of course this is all part of the game: overcoming this is the skill that we call playing an FPS game)
    When we consider the minutest framedrop, (1 or 2 frames under monitor max is already enough for this) which causes a hitch in the smoothness of movement of objects over our screen, one can instantly lose track of the target, especially when that target used a bursty movement ability at the same time (warp, air jumps, dash)

Reacquiring the target would be faster if we had more striking red outlines, or perhaps a double outline. (A Green outline around an enemy, and then another red outline around that)

Maybe this is something that could be addressed. Maybe we could have an option for double outlines, or a slider for thickness.
    The red outline is stupid. Flat out bad. The only reason why it's there is because they want players to wear different colors so they can sell Stash Boxes for a game we have already paid $29.99 that is multiplayer only.
  • danielboosdanielboos
    LawBreakers Rep: 470
    and we are waiting from them to

ask for smaa not msaa
  • danielboosdanielboos
    LawBreakers Rep: 470
    LawBreakers uses Unreal ENgine 4 and it probably uses Deferred Rendering which is why it LB doesn't have MSAA that mainly works with Forward Rendering.

dude they can add http://iryoku.com/smaa/ which is better than any anti aliasing just have a look i asked for it and i explained everything here http://forums.lawbreakers.nexon.net/discussion/12953/we-need-smaa-or-disable-the-blurr-in-taa
    https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Performance/ForwardRenderer/

Unfortunately, I think LB uses UE4 4.13 and this is for 4.14.
    Unreal Tournament currently offers Forward Shading as an option, but doesn't yet offer MSAA.