Please note that there is a new forum user approval process before you can start posting. It may take up to 48 hours for your account to be approved.

LB needs modding tools + marketplace

FlickshotXXLFlickshotXXL
LawBreakers Rep: 1,230
in General PC Discussion
Maybe it would be wise for Boss key Productions Inc. and Nexon to, at some point, give us access to the LawBreakers Editor based on Unreal Engine 4 and also give us access to a marketplace where players could share maps for free and share/sell:
  • Character skins
  • Weapons skins
  • Weapons stickers
  • Kick decals

1. This would allow us, players, to create more maps for our favorite gametypes and add replay value to LawBreakers for free.
2. Characters skins, weapons skins, weapon stickers and kick decals for bring profits. All you need to do is have 1 person to receive, filter and approve that content.
3. Modding tools + marketplace could help us increase the CCU.
4. They will also attract a new crowd; modders.
5. Wouldn't this be a much better system to both make money and add value to LawBreakers without having to do much in return? Isn't it a better system than Stash Boxes?
Emerald_PoisonRealmjumperVapidlindanator

Comments

• Emerald_PoisonEmerald_Poison
    LawBreakers Rep: 430
    Alright these people obviously don't want people touching their game so they've encrypted it to **.**, Luckily they didn't use their own engine and with altered copies of the unreal engine, you can run them in parallel with the game while slowly extracting the content you need to be able to actually effect the contents on your PC. But to sum it up they are probably going to shoot down anything that comes out of this because a simple fact is NEXON banned modding in their EULA's, you accepted you wanted to play a non modded version the second you started playing.

Honestly by the looks of it the dev team is not allowed to give a **.** about lawbreakers anymore. There are so few around and there has been so little said, sure content updates but it looks like this isn't a project that involves the majority of the team anymore. I feel though as though there where bets made for the game to ride on its success and now where seeing a ship pointed downwards with no resorts. The best response you can expect is responses from the guys hired to deal with them. Which the majority of the time feels like no response at all.
    nEshev
  • FlickshotXXLFlickshotXXL
    Then Nexon might want to reconsider their priorities concerning modding tools.
    CURRENT PLAYERS PEAK TODAY GAME

657,599 1,655,027 PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS # Modding tools on the roadmap
    402,817 549,053 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive # Modding tools
    399,203 638,625 Dota 2 # Modding tools
    56,363 61,112 Rocket League # Modding tools
    50,894 53,357 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    46,068 49,988 Total War: WARHAMMER II
    45,943 53,066 Team Fortress 2# Modding tools
    43,540 49,873 ARK: Survival Evolved # Modding tools
    41,759 43,623 Football Manager 2017
    41,434 42,010 PAYDAY 2 # Modding tools
    Emerald_PoisonVapidlindanator
  • Club25FootballClub25Football
    LawBreakers Rep: 410
    41,759 43,623 Football Manager 2017

I don't want to get mixed up in a modding discussion as I don't see the need for it in LawBreakers, but you can mod any Football Manager title to Hell and back, and the devs almost suggest it when it comes ot adding in club and kit licenses (they even sell a database editor to make your players OP).

Back on topic, I would love to see an economy be introduced for LawBreakers, being able to sell and swap cosmetics. Not sure whether this would tie in with the devs' overall outlook on how the game should evolve though.

FlickshotXXL
  • ToiletToilet
    LawBreakers Rep: 1,415
    I'd love to see custom maps in the game and a custom server browser for those maps. Also a skin creator that you can submit to BossKey.

However, modding tools should only be added way down the line since I imagine it would take thousands of hours to create and there are more important things.
  • FlickshotXXLFlickshotXXL
    LB is using Unreal Engine 4. They dont have to create modding tools. What they need to do is change the game to in game support those mods.
  • AmerikaAmerika
    LawBreakers Rep: 2,960
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited October 12
    I've said it about other games and I've said it about LB...they need to allow us to create custom maps and fire them up in LB on a local box (not upload to a server for people to play on). Give us just enough resources to do that and it will go a long way. It's not hard to do, it does not require a fully documented LB specific SDK that allows us to modify any facet of the game (just the few LB specific tools), it does not require access to any repository like Steam to upload the map (which building that infrastructure takes time). We just need enough LB specific versions of EU4 tools and specific things used for LB and the ability for LB to fire up an external custom map. The community can figure it out from there.

However, with the past games and recently with LB, it's almost always confused with asking for a full SDK for the game and completely dismissed out of hand despite me being very very careful to word carefully. Many games are extremely popular not just because they are fun to play but because they give people the chance to become invested or constantly surprised by new things other people come up with. They become more involved and they have more things to keep their interest in a game long past when most people would have moved on. Most of the "greats" from the past had all of this yet it's something that is completely missing from the new wave of "games as a service" titles where the brand is tightly controlled. I think LB could use some of that even if it's just throwing around maps that can be played ONLY on a local box that people can check out.

I am not the most amazing map creator. And I'm not super familiar with UE4 map making outside of playing around with the tools. However, I have designed quite a few maps with a few of them getting heavy usage and one of them getting major tournament usage. I would have loved to have been working on some maps, specifically some off the beaten path attempts at maps, but all I can do right now is create extremely boring and non-playable blockouts with the base UE4 editor that I can't test myself for mechanics or fluidity in traversing using LB like I can in many other games.
    RealmjumperVapidlindanator
  • nEshevnEshev
    LawBreakers Rep: 590
    It is prime time in europe right now (7-8PM) and there are 40 people online. PLEASE it is time to make this game free to play because you are going down like an avalanche with these 40 people online and 97 people PEAK for the last 24 hours. I have to wait probably like 30-40 minutes to find a single game which wont be 5v5 anyways. I am feeling robbed right now... Absolutely 0 devotion and **.** given for the situation which this game is in. The playerbase decreased by 50% since the 1.4 **.** update, everyone is complaining with a few exceptions and they haven't reverted it still.
  • ToiletToilet
    LawBreakers Rep: 1,415
    LB is using Unreal Engine 4. They dont have to create modding tools. What they need to do is change the game to in game support those mods.

It's not that simple, they'd have to create a separate program that includes all the game's resources.
    RealmjumperVapidlindanator
  • VapidlindanatorVapidlindanator
    LawBreakers Rep: 560
    Toilet wrote: »

It's not that simple, they'd have to create a separate program that includes all the game's resources.

Unreal Engine already supports modding, you just need to catalogue the assets and make sure that the game won't crash when mods have been added. They have a page dedicated to adding mods. IT's wouldn't be difficult to add "modding tools", it'll just take time I guess.

I'm speaking with no experience with modding, I'm just saying what makes logical sense based on the little research that I've done.
  • AmerikaAmerika
    LawBreakers Rep: 2,960
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator
    Toilet wrote: »

Unreal Engine already supports modding, you just need to catalogue the assets and make sure that the game won't crash when mods have been added. They have a page dedicated to adding mods. IT's wouldn't be difficult to add "modding tools", it'll just take time I guess.

I'm speaking with no experience with modding, I'm just saying what makes logical sense based on the little research that I've done.

Game companies tend to take something like UE4 and craft their game around it. One of the big advantages of going with something like UE4 is that a lot of tools are already created for you and you can take any code you want and modify it to work with not just your custom code but also other 3rd party tools. Due to the customized nature of any game, unless they stuck to UE4 only tools to create content, it's not a trivial task to take what they have developed specifically, document it, shore it up with testing and release it to the public. That's part of why you see so few companies embrace doing this. The other part is marketing in general...they want to control the games "brand" and they do not want outside influence that might bypass that branding, marketing and sales. Which is understandable.

That's why I was asking for specifically any tools that BKP uses to create maps to be released (even without documentation) and let us figure it out. And change LB, or at least a beta branch of it, to be allowed to run user created maps locally (that is disabled right now). It would be a very low effort thing to do and it can always be presented with a disclaimer of using at your own risk. I do not need or want to have steam workshop integration up and running in order to share these maps nor do I need to be able to have others play with me on the map. I just need access to do engagement flow testing that you don't get from flying around the map in the editor via the basic camera controls. I need to test Assassin specific pathing, Titan pathing and just timing in general on how long it takes for a team/player to get everywhere. And to make sure areas of engagement are proper.

Anyway, that's my spiel yet again. I do not want a full SDK or steam workshop. Just some mapping tools and the ability to fire up a map locally. No sharing involved.
    Vapidlindanator