Please note that there is a new forum user approval process before you can start posting. It may take up to 48 hours for your account to be approved.

With what weapon would you replace Romerus?

FlickshotXXLFlickshotXXL
LawBreakers Rep: 1,655
in Role Feedback
It's a little bit weird that the Assassin has both Blades and Romerus. Considering how useful Romerus can be, I personally only use Romerus, plus grenades makes it easier to land shots and I only use blades whenever I use her Ultra.

If we look at the Wraith, his gun (Spektor) complement nicely his knife (Wasp).

Considering that the Blades are really the signature weapon of the Assassin, if we were to change Romerus for another weapons that would better complement this hero, what would it be?
  1. What weapon should replace Romerus to better fit the Assassin?10 votes
    1. Bow
       30% (3 votes)
    2. Handgun or Revolver
       10% (1 vote)
    3. Grenade Launcher - Sticky nade and explodes after a short delay
       0% (0 votes)
    4. Plasma Rifle (Q3A-like)
       0% (0 votes)
    5. Nailgun (F.E.A.R. - Penetrator)
       0% (0 votes)
    6. Sub-Machine Gun
       10% (1 vote)
    7. Romerus is fine!
       30% (3 votes)
    8. Sniper Rifle
       0% (0 votes)
    9. Razor Blade Disc Launcher (cuts head and bounces off walls)
       0% (0 votes)
    10. Plasma Cannon (medium-speed projectiles, curved trajectory, slows down target at impact)
       10% (1 vote)
    11. Shuriken Rifle
       0% (0 votes)
    12. Kunai (throwable weapon... see Tribes Ascend - Infiltrator)
       10% (1 vote)

Comments

• IskaldtIskaldt
    LawBreakers Rep: 520
    Would love to see the Romerus replaced with a Bow instead. would be the ultimate dream class for me.
  • iLikeCookiesQiLikeCookiesQ
    LawBreakers Rep: 1,920
    Yeah a bow would suit the flavor of assassin. Design wise you get the problem that a bow generally has a very low firerate, as well as a charge up time, and firing slow projectiles. To balance these things, it would need a very high amount of damage, as well as a very large projectile size. And this kind of weapon is just not fun to play against, regardless of whether it is balanced.

You could also make a "shortbow" to get rid of these problems. A quite fast firing weapon, with a pretty high velocity. Then you can make small projectiles as well as low ish damage.

Ammo: 4 (one on each finger in the hand)
    reload: 0.6s
    damage: 60
    delay to fire after pressing fire button: 0.15s (automatically fires, not cancellable or pre chargeable)
    refire time until next arrow can be fired after last one: 0.35s
    (The last 2 numbers should make the overall firerate 2 per second)
    projectile velocity: 16000 units per second. (For comparison, wraith stingerbomb has 9000, and assassin grappling hook has 9750)
    Headshot: 1.5x

The above numbers make a really underpowered weapon to be fair. Could add 50% lifesteal to damage dealt with this bow, and call it a "siphon bow" or smth.
  • aqwzsxedcrfvaqwzsxedcrfv
    LawBreakers Rep: 520
    I too share your concerns. I think we should just replace the blades.
    More seriously though, the blades and the shotgun feel kind of redundant, they're both mostly useful in close range and require you to aim for your target precisely if you want to deal any damage.
    I've seen melee + shotgun work in an arena shooter before, it relied on the melee strike to cancel enemy momentum in order to get an easy shotgun hit. It might be something to think about, giving Assassin's blades a supporting role to the shotgun.
    Another way assassin's kit could be more synergistic is if the shotgun had less ammo but more damage and charged up while unequipped like Medic's firefly, with a quicker weapon switch (with a different right click probably, the current right click doesn't feel like it should belong to a melee class). The idea is to make the shotgun serve as a damage spike but not sustainable damage as well as something you can use right after getting kicked out of melee range.