Please note that there is a new forum user approval process before you can start posting. It may take up to 48 hours for your account to be approved.

[Beta Map] Clash

BrittalityBrittality
LawBreakers Rep: 4,405
Member, Boss Key
in Map Feedback
Hey LawBreakers!

So as you guys may know, 1.4 introduced a few new things, but one of them was our Beta map, Clash. Why the heck is it so grey? Well this is actually how maps begin, they start in what's called a "greybox" state. So you guys are actually getting in on the ground floor of the level design process. With your feedback, we can shape this into something even cooler!

So with that: What are your thoughts on the map? Do you enjoy the layout? Would you like to see some things added? Feel free to answer those and other things you think could help shape Clash into a fun and frantic map.
MAX2

Comments

• DutchGamingDudeDutchGamingDude
    LawBreakers Rep: 520
    Hey!

Played loads of matches on clash today. Here are my thoughts so far!

Man, TDM is fun on this map. Have found some weird ways to use the layout that might not be the way they are intended.... The map needs a out of zone area on top of the structure, because it is impossible for a Titan to get up there if someone is shooting from over there. It's nice to fly up there and surprise enemies, but not fare if there is no way to counter this.

But the general map layout is nice! Al the little hallways are perfect for Titan players and have a nice amount of cover. The center might require a little more cover, because slower classes have trouble dodging shots in the zero G zone right now... But nice layout for a beta map and had some crazy fights!

If you want to have more specific feedback, I'll gladly provide it!
  • BrittalityBrittality
    LawBreakers Rep: 4,405
    Member, Boss Key
    Hey!

Man, TDM is fun on this map. Have found some weird ways to use the layout that might not be the way they are intended.... The map needs a out of zone area on top of the structure, because it is impossible for a Titan to get up there if someone is shooting from over there. It's nice to fly up there and surprise enemies, but not fare if there is no way to counter this.

But the general map layout is nice! Al the little hallways are perfect for Titan players and have a nice amount of cover. The center might require a little more cover, because slower classes have trouble dodging shots in the zero G zone right now... But nice layout for a beta map and had some crazy fights!

Hey yeah was just chatting with our Sr. Level Designer and he said they're looking at the "out of bounds" zone.
    DutchGamingDudeEmerald_Poison
  • Emerald_PoisonEmerald_Poison
    LawBreakers Rep: 430
    The 3 health packs beside the jump pad and the cliff edge at two opposite corners of the map are just plain evil, I love them. With the larger health pools chancing an opponent from health station to station has become a strategy for some of the faster classes. So far I've gotten a Juggernaut, and enforcer and a titan, The enforcer even used his extra jump to save himself, but I just kicked him again. I can only imagine the rage. Thats not even counting the people I've chased over the cliff instead of leading them to it. I haven't had the balls yet but I really want to try making some routes underneath the map with assassin, if the maps where practicable i'd already be doing it.

As for your out of bounds zones, they are normally a feature I feel is implemented out of ease of design and simply the same problematic situation of not properly making space for your players. Lawbreakers on the otherhand had me actually happy this feature was in there, as a large section of maps have strategies for just tapping the out of bounds zones to obviously get a positioning advantage normally considered, well out of bounds. So DutchgamingDude suggestion of not allowing the tops of the towers because titan can't reach them, means that assassin, wraith, vanguard and harrier can jump from one to another endlessly since the timer resets whenever you leave out of bounds. In a dream world I'd say make them destructible by explosives and juggernaut's melee, they'd have to be dense and it be a pain to program even if unreal has presets for it. I think the coolest way to solve this would be having the map loop into itself on the vertical axis, so if you go into the underground, you can go lower than that and end up on top of the map. Make it some sort of in universe endless mall or something. Or ya know, more jump pads.
  • GoidGoid
    LawBreakers Rep: 1,125
    I want it to stay grey :(
    i like the simple design of it, it allows the player to focus more on the battle and not the scenery and it runs better(less textures=better performance). plus i love that there are no out of bounds areas.
    is there a way you can make maps like this that will stay like this instead of being worked on further.
    it can also allow you to churn out maps faster. im only saying this for tdm and other modes in skirmish, obj mode maps should be complete.
    emalb
  • GoidGoid
    LawBreakers Rep: 1,125
    or maybe add more design to it by making it feel like a simulation map. sort of like what halo 5 did with that one 5v5 no respawn mode maps that they had, but make it with less color.
  • emalbemalb
    LawBreakers Rep: 1,095
    Goid wrote: »
    I want it to stay grey :(
    i like the simple design of it, it allows the player to focus more on the battle and not the scenery and it runs better(less textures=better performance). plus i love that there are no out of bounds areas.
    is there a way you can make maps like this that will stay like this instead of being worked on further.
    it can also allow you to churn out maps faster. im only saying this for tdm and other modes in skirmish, obj mode maps should be complete.

Yeah this :D
    Out of bounds areas work on objective modes, but on tdm it works perfectly as it is. And the map might be the basic basic version of what it's going to be, but I like it. Got the 'Tron' feel to it
  • Natural_20Natural_20
    LawBreakers Rep: 620
    edited September 23
    Brittality wrote: »
    Hey!

Hey yeah was just chatting with our Sr. Level Designer and he said they're looking at the "out of bounds" zone.
    Don't block off the rooftops; they're interesting and add more z-axis gameplay. Adjust the height of the central low-gravity zone and maybe add some more low-grav areas that can be used to get up there, and you'll have a really fun map.
    emalbGoid
  • FlickshotXXLFlickshotXXL
    LawBreakers Rep: 1,535
    Map layout
    I really like the map Clash, overall. However, the map seems to be a bit 2 sided when most TDM players would probably expect a TDM map to be more neutral or circular. If the Spawning System was working as expected, I think it's easy to imagine how a team could take over one side and protect left (dark corridor), center and right (dark corridor). Basically, it would work similarly to how an objective map works, but this time without any objectives. If those two areas (center where health vials are + dark corridors) could be redesigned to make the map feel less 2 sided, would be fantastic.

Items on the map
    I found that the health packs or health vials were very well distributed on the map, including the paths to get there. I also find the 0g area to be well placed at the center of the map. Note that I think it could do well without it as well.
  • JedeOffJedeOff
    LawBreakers Rep: 440
    Hey Britt!

I'm really enjoying this map. The minimalistic and VR vibe is just my cup of tea, the dome over the whole scenery gives it an even better feel of being in a simulation. I just love the style and I would love it to stay that way. You could play a bit with more varied colors to identify different zones of the map and give an even stronger arcade feel to it. That's just my opinion though, you may want to take it in a whole different direction.

I do feel the roofs of the two main structures need to be raised a bit, or lowered to allow for yet another platform. You should also give other classes more tools to be able to get up there, unless you don't intend it to stay that way. More platforms and jump pads all around the map would make things even crazier and hectic.
  • ToiletToilet
    LawBreakers Rep: 1,425
    edited September 28
    Yea I'm actually loving the minimalism and giant open Zero G area.

You should probably remove that instant death ceiling though.
  • Emerald_PoisonEmerald_Poison
    LawBreakers Rep: 430
    Happy to see so much admiration, especially for taking a step like putting Beta maps into play. I really hope fixing spawns goes without saying, I'm pretty sure I read a reply somewhere saying it was being talked about.