Please note that there is a new forum user approval process before you can start posting. It may take up to 48 hours for your account to be approved.

General Stash Box Feedback

OneLetterOneLetter
LawBreakers Rep: 8,065
edited March 19, 2017 in Beta Gameplay Feedback & Suggestions
- What do you like?
- What do you want to change?
- What do you want to add?
- How awesome are the giraffe skins?

Drop all your general Stash Box feedback here!

Comments

• EndigyEndigy
    LawBreakers Rep: 970
    - Some of the more... "premium" skins that are available already are very well done. Especially the Boss Key rocket launcher.
    - The character skins are already side specific, but perhaps we can have weapons/character skins that are available for both sides, and exclusive. Just some generic ones to share, but some exclusive ones that would say... match the character's personality.
    - Add a skip button to stash box opening.
    - ... No comment.
    KedgieXenithosXarcasticThe_ShroomYodalegend
  • TelzenTelzen
    LawBreakers Rep: 770
    Some of the skins were alright, but a lot of them were just fugly.
    KatherineLianatavax
  • VessmanVessman
    LawBreakers Rep: 100
    - I really the Character the Skins including the law Vanguard one really Stand out the most.
    -I really want to add more skins such as Gold plate, or like a custom skins that can be part of the workshop. (if thats available in the futurer)
    - EEHHH, i prefer the Zebra skins. :P
  • Potato77Potato77
    LawBreakers Rep: 470
    edited March 19, 2017
    Sorry to say I'm not really impressed. I find that, in any game that has them, weapon and character skins tend to fall into a few undesirable categories.

1. Traditional weapon camouflage. Which is not only pretty boring but also usually looks out of place unless the context of your game is an actual military shooter. Why would cops in an urban environment be wearing forest or aqua camo? It almost always just feels like they were made for the sake of being filler.

2. Solid re-colors. Which, y'know, whatever. It's to be expected. Nothing wrong with this as long as the colors make sense. Yet they often don't make sense.

3. Really silly and extravagant bull that just looks completely gaudy and out of place. Vibrant colored rainbow, abstract and meme skins that just make me ask "who in their right mind would ever wear this?" Kintaro's comic skin comes to mind.

If you have skins they should actually fit the art style and theme of the game, if not at least the personality of the character they're being applied to. Nothing pissed me off more than seeing amazing weapons in TF2 that looked like they were assembled from period technology be passed over in favor of stupid Dr.Seuss hats.

This game is about cops and criminals, with some industrial and futuristic elements thrown in. That should be the focus of your skins. That's the context I'm going to be discussing things in.

Chronos has good character skins in that regard. The prison outfit, the serial killing clown outfit. They fit both the character and the overarching theme.
    Meanwhile something like Plaid Rockets, Lemonade-themed shotguns or Cyan assault rifles is just...what? Nah man, just absurd.

Giraffe and Zebra skins make sense for someone like Kintaro. He's a stereotypical rich crime-boss narcissist that probably has fur suits and animal pelts all over the place. Yet seeing the same things being used by someone like Abaddon really don't feel fitting at all.

Really examine the identity of your characters, the universe they're in, and think about what they would and wouldn't use.
    RealmjumperXenithositstrueTane1mexican5243AmericanKroganYodalegend
  • zkrimsonzkrimson
    LawBreakers Rep: 220
    needs a skip button.
    Potato77Xenithos
  • TeneKayTeneKay
    LawBreakers Rep: 410
    My only problem is that the boxes take a long time to open, would appreciate it if we could have an "Open All" or just a skip button.
    KatherineLian
  • venicellovenicello
    LawBreakers Rep: 790
    The "box open" animation is a lot less snappy than in other games. You're really lacking a sensation of clicking on a box and making the loot POP out so you can see it. It might help to have your "open Stash Box" button more physically present within the imagined space of the Stash Box screen in this case - like you push a button or flip a lever in this garage-looking place where you uncrate your loot.

I liked a lot of the rarer skins, although it didn't feel like I could really make people notice them. This might be a post-kill change you want to implement - some way of showing the player who just killed you so you can ooh and ah over their cosmetics. Seeing them at the end of the round is nice, but that a) doesn't show weapon skins effectively and b) doesn't have the salty immediacy of showing off your cool stuff to the guy you just killed.
  • KedgieKedgie
    LawBreakers Rep: 2,740
    edited March 20, 2017
    I like the stash boxes as a whole though there definitely needs to be away to skip the animation. Regarding the actual skins, I do like the ones in there currently. I've always thought developers need to be more unique with their in game skins. The badass ones are always cool but imho the more out there and ridiculous skins the better. Also there should be an obvious rarity system for maximum showoffiness
  • BrittalityBrittality
    LawBreakers Rep: 4,445
    Potato77 wrote: »
    Sorry to say I'm not really impressed. I find that, in any game that has them, weapon and character skins tend to fall into a few undesirable categories.

1. Traditional weapon camouflage. Which is not only pretty boring but also usually looks out of place unless the context of your game is an actual military shooter. Why would cops in an urban environment be wearing forest or aqua camo? It almost always just feels like they were made for the sake of being filler.

2. Solid re-colors. Which, y'know, whatever. It's to be expected. Nothing wrong with this as long as the colors make sense. Yet they often don't make sense.

3. Really silly and extravagant bull that just looks completely gaudy and out of place. Vibrant colored rainbow, abstract and meme skins that just make me ask "who in their right mind would ever wear this?" Kintaro's comic skin comes to mind.

If you have skins they should actually fit the art style and theme of the game, if not at least the personality of the character they're being applied to. Nothing pissed me off more than seeing amazing weapons in TF2 that looked like they were assembled from period technology be passed over in favor of stupid Dr.Seuss hats.

This game is about cops and criminals, with some industrial and futuristic elements thrown in. That should be the focus of your skins. That's the context I'm going to be discussing things in.

Chronos has good character skins in that regard. The prison outfit, the serial killing clown outfit. They fit both the character and the overarching theme.
    Meanwhile something like Plaid Rockets, Lemonade-themed shotguns or Cyan assault rifles is just...what? Nah man, just absurd.

Giraffe and Zebra skins make sense for someone like Kintaro. He's a stereotypical rich crime-boss narcissist that probably has fur suits and animal pelts all over the place. Yet seeing the same things being used by someone like Abaddon really don't feel fitting at all.

Really examine the identity of your characters, the universe they're in, and think about what they would and wouldn't use.

Good notes here! Keep in mind that this was only the first Beta. We have a lot of skins we are working on that we are really excited to show.
    WorgGraciousNutsMokrei
  • stabbyroguestabbyrogue
    LawBreakers Rep: 450
    I searched around a bit and didn't see any other posts about this. Perhaps an edge case?

Coming from a collectionist standpoint, the Stash is great. I want to collect everything and customize the out of my character. The problem I experienced with the stash box in the beta, however, is that while I was opening one, my queue popped and I was instantly transported to the match/loading screen. When I completed that match, I went back to the Stash to see what I had won and.... nothing. No stash boxes.

Hm. So I went to the Collection (Customize menu, maybe?). Nothing new there, on any character, for any slot. I assume the match popping up interrupted the animation/reveal of the stash box, and whatever listener event that flags the "you get this loot now" result just kept on listenin'....
    • As a player who has unopened stash boxes, I should not lose the contents of a box because my match popped.
    • As a player who was opening a stash box when the matched popped (opening stash was interrupted), I should have a method to see what I last received from a stash box.
    • Alternatively, as a player who was opening a stash box when the match popped (opening stash was interrupted), I should be able to return to the Stash Box section and resume the animation/unveiling of the box.

Just as a note - I don't expect to keep any of the items I received in any stash boxes during the beta. I'm just leaving this feedback because if this happened to me in the production version, I would be frustrated.
    Potato77WorgYodalegend
  • Potato77Potato77
    LawBreakers Rep: 470
    Something similar happened to me. The stash server was down and then I seemed to have just completely lost two cases over multiple tries at opening them.
  • stabbyroguestabbyrogue
    edited March 20, 2017
    @Potato77 I read your detailed comment up above and while I was considering your perspective I suddenly flashed back to my childhood and remembered a cartoon that *may* have been the basis for LawBreakers... *Conspiracy Oboe sounds!*

I loved this show even with the cheese factor. Check out that arm-grappling hook! <3

(Edited because English)
  • CaféCafé
    LawBreakers Rep: 905
    Vibrant colored rainbow, abstract and meme skins that just make me ask "who in their right mind would ever wear this?" Kintaro's comic skin comes to mind.

That's all great feedback. But Kintaro would definitely wear that.
    YodalegendKnastcore
  • BrittalityBrittality
    edited March 21, 2017
    I searched around a bit and didn't see any other posts about this. Perhaps an edge case?

Coming from a collectionist standpoint, the Stash is great. I want to collect everything and customize the out of my character. The problem I experienced with the stash box in the beta, however, is that while I was opening one, my queue popped and I was instantly transported to the match/loading screen. When I completed that match, I went back to the Stash to see what I had won and.... nothing. No stash boxes.

Hm. So I went to the Collection (Customize menu, maybe?). Nothing new there, on any character, for any slot. I assume the match popping up interrupted the animation/reveal of the stash box, and whatever listener event that flags the "you get this loot now" result just kept on listenin'....
    • As a player who has unopened stash boxes, I should not lose the contents of a box because my match popped.
    • As a player who was opening a stash box when the matched popped (opening stash was interrupted), I should have a method to see what I last received from a stash box.
    • Alternatively, as a player who was opening a stash box when the match popped (opening stash was interrupted), I should be able to return to the Stash Box section and resume the animation/unveiling of the box.

Just as a note - I don't expect to keep any of the items I received in any stash boxes during the beta. I'm just leaving this feedback because if this happened to me in the production version, I would be frustrated.

You should have still received the assets. When you check customization did you just check for the "New" by the name or did you go to each character? The "New" indicator was also a little buggy.

You are totally correct here and Stash Boxes are a work in progress at the moment. We appreciate the feedback!
  • stabbyroguestabbyrogue
    @Brittality (fantastic name btw) - Thanks for the reply!

I went through the collection for each ... category? (weapons, skins, the other thing), for each character, and I didn't see anything that was newly unlocked. The only items that were unlocked were items that I unlocked in the last box.

Thinking back now... it seems like I would have checked everyone on both sides, but it is possible that in the Customize menu you haven't picked a side to play on yet, right? I can't imagine that menu would be filtered to show only the Law or the Breakers items, dependent on which side you had selected. I'm not even sure if you can select a side to play on and then go into the Customize menu.

Also, on the robot (I believe on both sides), one of his categories never loaded. Perhaps all of the items from the last Stash I opened were for (up to) both robots on both sides, and only for that one category that wouldn't load? That would be some luck!
  • BrittalityBrittality
    @Brittality (fantastic name btw) - Thanks for the reply!

I went through the collection for each ... category? (weapons, skins, the other thing), for each character, and I didn't see anything that was newly unlocked. The only items that were unlocked were items that I unlocked in the last box.

Thinking back now... it seems like I would have checked everyone on both sides, but it is possible that in the Customize menu you haven't picked a side to play on yet, right? I can't imagine that menu would be filtered to show only the Law or the Breakers items, dependent on which side you had selected. I'm not even sure if you can select a side to play on and then go into the Customize menu.

Also, on the robot (I believe on both sides), one of his categories never loaded. Perhaps all of the items from the last Stash I opened were for (up to) both robots on both sides, and only for that one category that wouldn't load? That would be some luck!

Copy that. Thanks for letting us know.

And thanks for the compliment. Cookie for you!
  • AzerekiAzereki
    LawBreakers Rep: 1,175
    my queue popped and I was instantly transported to the match/loading screen. When I completed that match, I went back to the Stash to see what I had won and.... nothing. No stash boxes.
    Maybe we can alert you that your match is ready instead of kicking you straight out of this screen. Will talk about some solutions.

DEVPROCB
  • CaféCafé
    LawBreakers Rep: 905
    edited March 23, 2017
    - What do you like?
    It looks easy to get a skin, but you don't get flooded with content, if it stays this way in the full game, it's great.

- What do you want to change?
    Cammo skins. In some weapons, like Vanguard's, it's alright, but in most of them, specially the ones with big surface (Titan), it just doesn't work, feels out of place. I really would recommend to keep working in skins like Battle Medic's shark one (sorry, I don't remember the name). I really like the shark imaginery and any skin that hides the mouth in Titan's weapon, I just don't like it. Maybe you should come up with more of this constant imaginery.
    Also, skins should apply to in screen abilities, like drones (Medic) or the shoulder r.launcher (Vanguard)

- What do you want to add?
    I would add subtle references in skins. Like adding EVAs colors (Evangelion) to Vanguard's skins, making Chronos or Bomchelle look like Bane, dress up Abaddon like he's Gary Oldman from The Fifth Element, you know what I mean. Sometimes it would make recolors interesting, for example, Battle Medic's launcher in sand cammo would look like The Fifth Element weapon. Don't just make a skin, try to appeal to somebody's culture.

Please, make it possible to buy a certain skin with money (buying in-game coins) being able to buy only boxes is lame and a bit abusive, and a lot of games do that.

- How awesome are the giraffe skins?
    That's the kind of skin I mean when I say " it just doesn't work" :(
    Yodalegend
  • AzerekiAzereki
    LawBreakers Rep: 1,175
    Café wrote: »
    dress up Abaddon like he's Gary Oldman from The Fifth Element
    Omg. <3
    Please, make it possible to buy a certain skin with money (buying in-game coins) being able to buy only boxes is lame and a bit abusive, and a lot of games do that.
    We've talked a lot about this system and how to make it player friendly. I'd be interested to hear your feedback again once we've iterated on the leveling curve some more.
    How awesome are the giraffe skins?
    That's the kind of skin I mean when I say " it just doesn't work" :(
    Bu..but, the giraffe skins are awesome. Should we just put the rainbow giraffe skin on hold!? :'(
  • irishrOyirishrOy
    LawBreakers Rep: 870
    edited March 24, 2017

[...]

While I don't necessarily 100% agree with Potato, I gotta say he is somewhat spot-on.

Skins should further express the charatcers they belong to.

Kintaro, yep. Chronos, yep.
    Maybe the Japanese Pop-skin, okay.

But "memes" or just funny skins because of "being funny" have no real place.

In LoL some are well done, but if "stupid funny" skins take over, it could end like in Smite with the Doge-Skin where every casted ability is accompanied by "Much wow, such impressive, very unbelievable"...

But I gotta say, for what the Beta was, it was pretty damn fleshed out and I like it.
    Just be careful with release "cute", "funny" or "memed" skins. A game with too much funnyness can (and will) most likely look pretty damn autistic, if I can say so :P

Most skins were cool, but some were more not really fitting, considering the setting the game is set in.

LuckyCluckyGoid