Please note that there is a new forum user approval process before you can start posting. It may take up to 48 hours for your account to be approved.

Real Talk: Overcharge as a game mode

Comments

• AzerekiAzereki
    LawBreakers Rep: 1,175
    Boss Key
    edited May 18
    Undeadfred wrote: »
    Azereki wrote: »
    Amerika wrote: »
    I simply do not agree with the idea of making a match meaningless up until the very end in order to potentially manufacture a clutch win. That's a hollow victory and it's a frustrating defeat.
    Make sure to gimme your feedback on the changes that went in for CB2! I think the overall intensity of the mode is improved while still retaining the clutch moments.

It feels better. Mostly the rate that it charges. If you grab and get it back to your base defending it for one min is feasible. I still feel like it should lose significant charge when out of the charger though (yes the 5 second countdown is nice, and that is one way to achieve a similar result)

If it gets stolen at 98% charge, and makes it back to the enemy base, I want some attempt to try to get it back, even if it's just this desperate dash for it.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Is there a decay on the battery already? If so I'm not noticing it.
    No decay on the battery charge. The shield will decay if left in the center for too long. The shield does recharge faster when the battery remains uncontested in a base, however.

In terms of removing progress from the battery, I feel like that is a mechanic that punishes needlessly without resulting in much net gain for the mode health.

My thinking for the charge rate change was that losing out on maybe 60s of effort max is far less punishing than losing out on multiple minutes, especially if defending all the way until the last second and losing it. It adds more sense of urgency and compels people to focus more intensely on playing the objective, either when attacking or defending.

Thought about having a longer 'Overcharge' time than the 20s when it reaches 100%, but it actually would turn into a bit of a clusterfk, especially since we reset the clock back to 20 if it completely changes hands. We do want the match to end eventually, so people don't get burnt out on the intensity, but don't want to miss out on the real awesome moments of contention that can happen in a close match.
  • UndeadfredUndeadfred
    LawBreakers Rep: 725
    edited May 19
    Undeadfred wrote: »
    Amerika wrote: »
    I simply do not agree with the idea of making a match meaningless up until the very end in order to potentially manufacture a clutch win. That's a hollow victory and it's a frustrating defeat.
    Make sure to gimme your feedback on the changes that went in for CB2! I think the overall intensity of the mode is improved while still retaining the clutch moments.

It feels better. Mostly the rate that it charges. If you grab and get it back to your base defending it for one min is feasible. I still feel like it should lose significant charge when out of the charger though (yes the 5 second countdown is nice, and that is one way to achieve a similar result)

If it gets stolen at 98% charge, and makes it back to the enemy base, I want some attempt to try to get it back, even if it's just this desperate dash for it.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Is there a decay on the battery already? If so I'm not noticing it.
    No decay on the battery charge. The shield will decay if left in the center for too long. The shield does recharge faster when the battery remains uncontested in a base, however.

In terms of removing progress from the battery, I feel like that is a mechanic that punishes needlessly without resulting in much net gain for the mode health.

My thinking for the charge rate change was that losing out on maybe 60s of effort max is far less punishing than losing out on multiple minutes, especially if defending all the way until the last second and losing it. It adds more sense of urgency and compels people to focus more intensely on playing the objective, either when attacking or defending.

Thought about having a longer 'Overcharge' time than the 20s when it reaches 100%, but it actually would turn into a bit of a clusterfk, especially since we reset the clock back to 20 if it completely changes hands. We do want the match to end eventually, so people don't get burnt out on the intensity, but don't want to miss out on the real awesome moments of contention that can happen in a close match.

Is there a number that the clock resets to if the battery is taken under a certain time remaining?

For instance the enemy captures the battery. It counts down from x (currently 20s) if I then take the Battery from the enemy base with y-n seconds left will it default to y and start the count down from there.

So battery counts down from 20s in enemy base. I take it with 3s left. I put in my base and it starts to count from 5s as no new timer can be less then 5s.
  • Roggan29Roggan29
    LawBreakers Rep: 310
    My two cents: I hate this mode as the first 90% have no meaning. As long as it is not an individual charge up for each team, I will not play this mode.
    Wolf_the_Legend
  • RedthirstRedthirst
    LawBreakers Rep: 100
    I have to say - it's quite ridiculous that the team that initially takes the battery is at a disadvantage, since they have to protect it for the entire duration of it being charged, and then for the timer to score, while second team can just steal the battery when it's fully charged and they only need to protect it for the timer to score.
  • NumbDutsNumbDuts
    LawBreakers Rep: 1,660
    edited May 21
    Man, this has been talked to death, lol.
    I think they struck a very nice balance since the initial mode.
    It used to be a very quick gameplay mode. But, they lengthened it out now, and it has actual team play now, and its not a 30 second gamemode now. Blitzball has taken its place as a super quick match mode.
    They have already tweaked the respawn times, they have tweaked the battery times, they have tweaked the movement speeds, they have tweaked maps and health stations. What more do you want? It sounds like everyone wants to make it go back to the way it was at the start of alpha (which EVERYONE complained about), or make it a different game altogether. You cant have it both ways. They made it this way because everyone complained about it before. I for one think they have just done it right to please a lot more people than think its a bad mode. (just my opinion).

Do they need to put in ctf? Heck yes. Do they need more modes than what they have now? Yes. Do they need to make more maps? Heck yes. Do those maps NEED to be made all new, and not just a version of the same maps with a few tweaks? Heck yes. Do they need longer (length) and wider maps? Absolutely. Have they made the Overcharge mode TONS better than it used to be, and an actually fun mode to play now? I say yes, yes they have.

If they make these modes more like every other game out there, then why not play every game out there instead of LB ?
  • AmerikaAmerika
    LawBreakers Rep: 2,960
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator
    NumbDuts wrote: »
    Man, this has been talked to death, lol.
    I think they struck a very nice balance since the initial mode.
    It used to be a very quick gameplay mode. But, they lengthened it out now, and it has actual team play now, and its not a 30 second gamemode now. Blitzball has taken its place as a super quick match mode.
    They have already tweaked the respawn times, they have tweaked the battery times, they have tweaked the movement speeds, they have tweaked maps and health stations. What more do you want? It sounds like everyone wants to make it go back to the way it was at the start of alpha (which EVERYONE complained about), or make it a different game altogether. You cant have it both ways. They made it this way because everyone complained about it before. I for one think they have just done it right to please a lot more people than think its a bad mode. (just my opinion).

Do they need to put in ctf? Heck yes. Do they need more modes than what they have now? Yes. Do they need to make more maps? Heck yes. Do those maps NEED to be made all new, and not just a version of the same maps with a few tweaks? Heck yes. Do they need longer (length) and wider maps? Absolutely. Have they made the Overcharge mode TONS better than it used to be, and an actually fun mode to play now? I say yes, yes they have.

If they make these modes more like every other game out there, then why not play every game out there instead of LB ?

This thread and most of the posts in it were made before CB2 hit where the mode was changed significantly. I still feel like the battery should charge each base instead of the base charge the battery...but with the change to the scoring system to make scores much faster it removes a lot of the waiting around issues and adds more urgency.

It's incredibly better now than it was.